Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Coating a floor with large cracks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 pm 
Worthy Contributor

We're in the process of refinishing a Yellow Pine floor. We'll be applying water base urethane over red mahogany stain. My problem is the floor has lots of gaps between boards. Home owner wants to keep the "rustic appeal", so the cracks stay.
Typically we use a coating bar, just push the finish along like a squeegie. I don't want to use this here because I know it'll push alot of finish into the cracks, which are rather large. I don't want to use a lambs wool applicator with this unforgiving water finish, so what about rolling it on?? I've applied oil finish in the past with a roller with success, but never water base.
I'm wondering if it'll leave overlap marks?
Any other ideas??
Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Coating a floor with large cracks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:41 am 
Newbie Contributor

Floorpro,

Rolling on waterborne finish works if the finish you use leans itself for roller application (it has to defoam good). Not all are defoaming well (rolling may have a tendency to create foam) so check with the TDS for the product you use or call the manufacturer.
You can test defoaming with a roller on a finished panel, apply with a 1/4 inch nap roller (I use the pink colored "hotdog" sized roller from HD for defoaming testing) and roll it aggresively, look for quick defoaming of any airbubbles, if many stay forget rolling.

The next thing to use is a 10 inch synthetic pad applicator (less likely to create foam) to avoid pouring finish in these gaps.

The Wooster Pro-Dooz 3/8 inch nap is a great roller, you can get that unit under private label (market as a Wooster) at Lowes or at an ICI/Glidden store also. Look for a roller with a green plastic core as that is a "Wooster trademark".
Second best is a Purdy "White Dove".

When you are rolling keep your wet edge right on the edge of a board, that way if it sets a bit you will not have a lapmark in the middle of a board. Rolling puts on a thicker coat so you will have more time than with T-Barring.

Johannes

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Coating a floor with large cracks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:49 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Thanks Johannes,
I'm going to try my luck with the roller.

Profile E-mail