Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: COLUMBIA HAYWARD PECAN PEAKING
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:23 pm 
New User

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A FLOOR THAT HAS BEEN INSTALLED FOR ABOUT THREE WEEKS. THE FLOOR WAS ACCLIMATED FOR THREE DAYS. IT IS INSTALLED IN A CONDO ON THE 5TH FLOOR. WE USED MAPEI MAPLELASTIC S/M AS THE SOUNDPROOF WITH MAPEI 6100 WOOD URETHANE ADHESIVE. THE FLOOR IS STARTING TO PEAK IN A FEW AREAS, RUNNING LENGTHWAYS WITH THE UNIT. (APPROX. 60' LONG). WHAT WOULD CAUSE THE PEAKING AND WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO FIX IT?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:04 am 
Worthy Contributor

3 days for acclimation might not be adequate. Depending upon how the material was packaged and the environment in your home. Additionally, was the material removed from any packaging and "racked out" for the acclimation process or was the flooring left in unopened boxes and stacked in the home?

Is it possible that the peaking is not moisture related? could it be subfloor issues, proud joists, loose subfloor? If peaking is occurring equally on each side of any particular board then the problem is most likely moisture related.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:06 am 
Prized Contributor

I'm curious. Is this a solid wood, or a cross-ply engineered wood.

Never mind, looked it up myself....

½" 5-ply rotary peel face.

By peaking, do you mean the ends are peaking, or the edges are cupping, or it just doesn't look flat across the surface?

I don't see, or heard of Mapei 6100. The only 6100 I came up with in an adhesive search was Powerhold 6100. It is a feltback vinyl adhesive.

The search on Mapei's website has no Mapeilastic S/M found????

OK, I found it... It is spelled Mapelastic, without the "i"

OK, here is what I found in my little research....

Mapelastic, is for tile installations, NOT WOOD, unless it is a floating wood installation, then it would work as nothing is being bonded to the membrane.
I find no 6100 except a vinyl adhesive. Could be they did use a vinyl adhesive with a lot of water in the mix. I don't know, I can't see the buckets from here. Did a flooring professional do this, handyman, General contractor, or did you DIY???

Post subject: Re: COLUMBIA HAYWARD PECAN PEAKING
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:42 am 
Prized Contributor

GGUTTVEG wrote:
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO FIX IT?

I really hate to be the bearer of devastating news, but it sounds to me, like a total removal and replacement, doing it to industry standards, and using materials approved for this, instead of "cheaping out". Products like cork, and Mapei WFM. Bostik's MVP, like WFM, also is specified as a sound abatement system.