Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Concrete sub-floor
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:44 am 
New User

Hi all,
I want to pull up carpet in a bedroom and nail down 3/4" red oak, 3&1/4" boards. The concrete slab is 15 years old. I hear different opionions about what kind of sub-floor to put down. Should I use 3/4' plywood and nail or glue it down, or should I float 2, 3/8" sheets? Do I really need a vapor barrier, and where does it go? Is the standard sheathing type plywood at Lowes OK to use? Also I hear alot of bad things about Lumber Liquidators. Is it OK for this type of un-finished wood if I allow for 15 to 20% waste?

Craig

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Concrete sub-floor
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:17 pm 
Prized Contributor

I would definetly do two layers of 3/8 as one layer of 3/4 is a real PITA to rip 16 inch strips and stagger. Plus the ply can curl on ya. Fastening the two layers of 3/8 is much easier and sturdier IMO.

Lowes is Ok but I would go to a smaller lumber company for the ply.

No need to fasten to concrete but do use at least 6 mil under it. I also do Bostik MVP4 with plastic on top. Can't be overly careful.

If your buying LL 20% is good, or save the stress and buy quality. I get by with 7% on a quality product all day every day.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:43 am 
New User

From Lumber Liquidators Customer Care

Never install over concrete without moisture vapor protection. Our website is the most valuable tool on the web for flooring installation needs when you visit the Customer Care page using the upper right hand corner connection to Customer Care when landing on our main page. The Flooring 101 tool and even a call to our Tech / Install pros can help tremendously not to mention we have the most up to date and best prices on everything you'll need to complete the project. Our selection is the best available especially compared to big box stores mentioned.

As for negative comments, people that ignore the installation instructions and don't take the time like you did to research the project needs often explore "experimental" methods of installing product then later blame us for the failed flooring install calling this a product defect. A true product defect is found when product exits the box before being installed, so these claims are often confused with a products reaction to a poorly installed floor with typical problems like: cupping, buckling, gapping, and other installation problems found when directions are not followed to the letter. You can also call Sales at 800-476-0007 and they can assist you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:03 pm 
Prized Contributor

customercare wrote:
From Lumber Liquidators Customer Care

Our website is the most valuable tool on the web for flooring installation needs

:roll:

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail