Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Concrete subfloor leveling problem
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:10 am 
New User

I live in a condo with concrete subfloor and I am going to put cork flooring in the bedroom. The floor had a very noticeable bump in one place and a number of undulating areas.

A friend of mine has done leveling before and volunteered to do it for me. I purchased a bag of Stone Mason self-leveler (24-hr drying time) and another bag of Stone Mason Super Flo self-leveler (4-hr drying time) for my friend to use. However, the finished floor is a lot worse than what it was before. My friend made a few mistakes:
1. He tried to mix the entire bag (25lbs) of leveler and followed the instruction by first getting the necessary amount of water. However, he put too much water in and the resulting mixture was too watery.
2. In order to remedy the watery problem, he added the other bag of fast set leveler in. The mixture seemed to have the right consistency.
3. He poured all the mixture onto the floor and trowel it. However, the trowel marks were very noticeable and now after it has dried, the floor looks like the surfaces of Mars with ridges and bubbles. :cry:

What can I do to fix this problem? Will the surface eventually break down because of the mixture of two different types of levelers? Should I chisel all the ridges off? That is a lot of work and I also still find undulating areas like before. How can I fix the floor now??

What should have been done in the first place? Should my friend be pouring the levelers all over? I am hardly an expert so I didn't want to disagree with him, but if I were to do it, I would have put the leveler only in areas of dips.

I know it's just common sense that you can't mix self-levelers with different setting times. Was there anything that I could have done to save the over-watered mixture?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:02 am 
Prized Contributor

:shock:

Never mix self leveler with a trowelable patch!!!

Troweling humps and bumps, along with the low spots, is just asking for more work.

You need an 8 or 10 foot screed.