Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Could use some general advice...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:27 pm 
New User

Hi Everyone,

We just purchased a townhouse, which we'll be moving in to in mid-May. We'd like to put hardwood floors in the dining room (currently carpeted) and the kitchen (currently a kind of dull looking laminate). Both areas are on the main level, and presumably do not have concrete under the carpet/laminate. There is one other point to consider: my wife is pregnant, and so I want a quick install that can be done before we move in, and with minimal dust/chemicals. Can you help with the following questions?

1) I am by no means an expert, so is it reasonable for me to purchase the materials over the internet, and leave only the installation to the professional?

2) Any recommendations for installers in the Washington, DC area? How much should they charge (ballpark figures)?

3) What kind of floors do you recommend? We have a dark wood dining table, and so we thought that reddish or brownish woods would look best, rather than the really light colored ones. Does this make sense (it's hard for me to visualize!)?

4) Any special considerations for installing over the laminate?

5) Any other ideas for the best way to do this fast and clean... without breaking the bank?

Thanks for your advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:18 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

You need to find a good shop so that you can look at products, take home samples, and get some expert advice. It may end up costing you more(maybe not), but you need service.
Don't cheap out here, it may end up costing you a bundle.

Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:31 am 
Valued Contributor

www.nwfa.org has a list of installation contractors. Maybe Ken can give you the address of their consumer site designed for End Users of Hardwood Flooring.
Saving money is not a sin and purchasing material over the internet can save considerable dollars on materials.
Have the nwfa installers bid the labor and floor prep. The installer, working direcltly for you, earns a little more money that he does contracting for the Retail Shop. Retailers, as a general rule, mark up labor as well as material so you may (or may not) save on labor. Working directly with a labor contractor is worthwhile because you can discuss floor preparation, installation methods and "interview" the installer. Hire the installer you feel comfortable and/or have conficance in.
I do agree that if you know nothing about flooring, purchasing from a small "mom and pop" shop is costlier but also safer. If you are one who studies and takes charge of home related projects, you may be better off saving money and choosing your own installer.