Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Crackling noise from new engineered floor installation
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:35 pm 
New User

I'm not sure this is a problem or something that will go away with time so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

I just had a new engineered pre-finished maple floor (3/8" x 3") installed. Glue down on 1/2" cork with concrete subfloor. No moisture issues since this is in a high-rise condo. When I walk on the floor it makes crackling noises almost all over the floor. A couple of areas are "noisier" than others. Overall not a huge issue, but I really thought glue down would be VERY solid.

There is no flexing or warping (that I can see), the whole installation seems and feels very solid except for the crackling noise.

I was told this would go away with time as the floor "settles in" but I don't know what to think.

Any clues appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Could be the wrong adhesive used for the cork by the sounds of it.

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... ontrol.htm

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:08 pm 
Valued Contributor

Noises are due, usually, to movement. Is the floor moving up and down?
If so, the problem may be subfloor related. If the concrete is not flat, the wood (over cork) will bridge the low areas then crack and squeak with applied weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:07 pm 
Prized Contributor

I'm with Ken on this one, especially if it is as wide spread as you describe.

Wrong adhesive for the cork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:18 pm 
New User

Thanks so much for the quick replies. Very glad to have found this forum.

The material/glue used was:

Duvall Cork Adhesive for cork on concrete
Bostiks Best Urethane Adhesive for wood on cork
1/2" regular cork
3/8" Robbins Maple Engineered pre-finished.

The planks do not move up and down (at least not from what I can tell with the clothed eye). There is only a crackling sound (like walking on peanutshells or something) and it's very subtle in some areas but louder in others. I do not hear any loud popping or snapping (which I assume could indicate that something is not glued properly, if I did hear it).

So is it fair to assume that a glue down installation such as this one should be completely solid? I.e. no crackling noise?

The installation is 4 days old.

Could the thickness of the wood matter?

Thanks again for all help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:58 pm 
Prized Contributor

That floor should not sound like rice crispies, 4 days after an installation. The glue used to adhere the cork is releasing and sticking, as it is a pressure sensitive adhesive.

The cork should have been full glued using the same adhesive as the flooring. Bostiks Best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:43 pm 
Worthy Contributor

The cork adhesives I have used, required the cork to be back coated with adhesive, and allowed to dry, AND spread it on the floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:24 pm 
Prized Contributor

Was the flooring aclimated at all? Might also be moving around a bit making it pop.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:06 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Maybe this isn't the forum i sould be talking about this but. If all the wood being installed today was installed by wood installers alot of this wouldn't be happening.How many SHAGMONKEYS pick up a table saw on friday and a wood job on monday? I personly don't like anything under my wood but concrete or wood. The cork is made for sound not density i think they whip alittle air in it like cheap icecream. I think bostiks best omost deaded the sound the same on its own to meet the condo specs. But there already selling that with the floor. The salesperson hears o you need something for sound not a problem i got just what you need CHA CHING. And then we have to put 15-20 dollars a sq on the line for another buck-n-half. That sound stuff don't sound all that good to me. The only good thing about bad insallers that if it wer't for them there be no good installers. I'm second generation there use to be thirds/fourths. Helpers yes i said helpers use to work as one for eight to ten years before they went out on there own not 9 months. I've recompose myself if not just for the moment. I believe that 1/2" cork has some give/they may have went in the cork adhesive real wet then seal it up with bostiks best throw some 3/8" engineered Maple/turn the heat up wait about a week or two slow baked sprankle alittle salt/pepper it ought taste just right.
But on the other hand GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FLOOR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:32 pm 
Valued Contributor

No Noticeable movement? I'm going with Ken on this one too. Wrong adhesive, wrong trowel size or improper installation of the correct materials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:45 pm 
New User

A small number of areas show some movement (and crackles too), but it's the fact that 70-80% of the floor crackles that really irritates me - and those areas don't show any movement. Well, something moves or there wouldn't be any noise, but it's nothing noticeable....

The Duvall glue is supposedly for cork (at least from what I read on the bucket it came in) - although I'm unable to find any references to this brand on the Internet and I have no idea where they got it from.

At one point I was suspecting that the concrete may not have been properly cleaned and perhaps the glue didn't stick due to that...

Really what I wanted to find out was whether this crackling was something I should accept (and that would go away) or something I should complain about to the installer. It sounds like I should complain....

Thanks for all feedback. I'll let you know how things progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:19 pm 
New User

A quick update on the situation. Today the relative humidity is down to ~40% and the floors are much quieter (very little crackling noises).

I don’t recall exactly, but I think the RH was around 60-70% when they were installed (and has been around 60% until today)….

- Does RH really make that much of a difference on engineered wood?

- Should I expect the floor to make noise when it’s humid and be quiet when it’s dry?

I might schedule a flooring inspection just to be sure on what’s going on with this installation…

Thanks for all the suggestions, comments and tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:32 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Maybe the glue under the cork is starting to grab, (or is done grabbing) and the sounds will diminsh. That is a bit of a reach......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:44 am 
New User

Well, what can I say. Humidity has been around 40-45% and the floors are pretty quiet...

I can though see some planks beeing a little raised compared to others causing rough edges if you slide your hand over them.

Someone asked if the wood was aclimated before installation. It was not. It was installed the same day it was delivered. If I recall correctly, RH on the installation day was around 65%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:40 pm 
Valued Contributor

I think you may have some expansion gapping problems.. just a thought.