Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Critique my layout
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:42 pm 
New User

Hi all,

Just looking for some outside and more experienced eyes on my layout before it gets locked in. Tried to read and closely follow the NWFA guidelines, so hopefully it's not to shabby, but inputs welcome.

Details: 6"x3/4" solid unfinished red oak in #1 common. Will be stained dark (jacobean) to match existing flooring in the rest of the house. 3/4" expansion gap around perimeter, .5" is hidden under drywall. Room size 20'x11'. Flooring laid in pictures is perpendicular to subfloor and parallel to long hallway feeding into the space.

White circle locations have already been addressed. White lines are a puny phone-drawn representation of where cabinets will be.

https://imgur.com/gallery/zsWMCGI

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Critique my layout
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:27 pm 
Prized Contributor

It seems that you have noticed the H joints as there is one circled. These are frowned upon along with clusters of joints where butt-joints are grouped together instead of being"more random" over the floor. If you are going to install the cabinets after the flooring is installed you could mark where the cabinets are going to be located with masking tape on the sub-floor so you don't have a butt-joint located a tiny space away from a cabinet. Laying the floor after the cabinets are installed makes the butt-joint layout easier so you will not have boards that look shorter than 6 inches, (just my preference), in the old days it would be 8-12 inches when I worked for my first boss.

Profile E-mail