Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dark water stains on brand new floor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:35 am 
New User

Hey guys,

I've moved into a newly buildt appartement just a week ago.
I've had an oak hardwood floor put into it for which I paid about a 150 dollars per square meter. According to my contract it was to be oiled once before installation and once after to achieve maximum saturation.

I've got the following problem: Each and every drop of spilled water that goes unnoticed produces a dark stain. The image below is in front of the dish washer. These are just water stains produced by droplets, no fat, no solvents or anything.

https://imgur.com/QhJuBaX

Also some of the appartements in the building are still under construction and there are still some other issues with my appartement. This means that workers with dusty shoes still sometimes enter here. From that, I've got dust stains in the hallway that cannot be removed with a damp cloth. Those are hard to capture in a picture.

https://imgur.com/YZMz867

Is there any way that this can happen to a correcty installed and oiled floor in that price range? I've asked for a very durable floor explicitly. Also: Can I assess if the floor is oiled correctly in any way?

Thanks and cheers from Germany, everybody stay healthy

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dark water stains on brand new floor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:23 am 
Worthy Contributor

Best advise when you have hardwood in the kitchen is always to put mats down - you can get water resistant top coats, but those make the floor very shiny and from the pictures, that's not what you have here. Try and limit traffic in the unit from trades and if they do have to come in to finish items, insist they wear boot covers or take their shoes off. You can also temporarily cover the floors while repairs are taking place to protect them.

Profile E-mail