Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dark wire brushed hw
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:10 am 
New User

7 years ago we built our house. When we picked out our flooring we asked what would be best for kids and two dogs who run around alot. The man told us wire brushed hard wood did a side by side scratch test. All the high traffic areas and stairs are in horrible shape. Edges of each piece have lost the stain color and some pieces have large craters and gouges to the point our socks hook on them. Until our kids get bigger and our dogs are gone I'm really only interested in an appearance fix. Am I able to get a matching stain to rub over the wood with color loss? How do I find out what kind of wood it is?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Dark wire brushed hw
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:17 am 
Prized Contributor

Most pre- refinished wire brushed wood was either red or white oak. It doesn't really matter what specie. To care for it you can use steel wool, #2 to polish rough spots. Then you will need to apply a coat of penetrating stain that will seal the pores. I use DuraSeal stains. Steel wool polish again after a few days, then add another coat of the stain.The second coat will not completely soak in like the first coat. This will leave a protective film, along with the penetration deep into the pores from the first coat. An even second coat will take a few days to completely harden and may be slightly sticky. Another coat of stain over the whole floor will be a maintenance coat that will even out the shine. Waxing will be optional, using a dark wax like coffee brown.
The floor will not be completely smooth, but ought not to have any splinters to catch fabric. If you have a very rough area you can scrape the surface with the grain until it is smooth, then use a steel wire brush to take the softer part of the wood away to match adjacent texture.
Use a paint scraper like the Hyde 2 or 3 inch wide scraper that you sharpen with a file so you can make shavings when you work it. Against the grain will result in chatter instead of a shaving.

Profile E-mail