Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Diagonal refinish
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:02 pm 
I laid my maple hardwood floor diagonally. I need to get it refinished and one of the companies I interviewed said it is going to be a terribly difficult job because it is laid diagonally and how no one but the most experienced refinishers can handle this job and that even with his 30 years of experience there will still be imperfections that we will notice. The other floor pro's gave no inclination of added problem.

What’s the true story on this deal?

The flooring is recycled gym floor, I put it down but did not get it refinished right away. We have some staining of the ends of some of the flooring boards from mopping without being totally sealed. The board ends are nice and tight together but some water has been able to sink into the joints resulting in discolored ends as compared to the very white maple.

Is there anything we can have done to lessen stain, like some sort of bleaching of the wood?

Perry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:56 pm 
New User

I dont find a floor laid at a 45 any harder to sand and finish. you end up with a little more area to edge, but the edger ends up being clocked better with the grain of the wood. The scratches from the edger sand paper show up less so there is less hand sanding and scraping. justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:25 am 
Worthy Contributor

The other stuff you mentioned sounds tough to deal with but not the 45 layout ... Justin's correct, no big deal at all ... except maybe some funky left hand corners or offsets :roll:

As for stains in the reclaimed wood ... personally never bleached a floor for color repair, sorry ... hope someone here sounds off on that one so I can learn something to.

Good Luck,

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:00 am 
New User

go to www.floormasters.com for info about bleaching.justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:14 am 
Thanks for the advice.

Perry