Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Discouraging Taylor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:20 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I went to buy some Taylor 2071/2022, and the manager at DeSotos (San Diego) "strongly urged" Bostiks saying it was a much better product, and the warrantee is better, etc.

Well I went home deflated and did not get anything. Since the warehouse has plenty of 2071 buckets in stock, I thought they would be happy to sell me a few.

He also said that Taylor requires calcium chloride test results both before and after the application of their 2022 for their warratee to apply. Has this been your experience with Taylor? I did not see anything in the lit that states that.

I was going with Taylor because Bostics MVP is horribly expensive, and Taylor is easier to cleanup (or so I've heard).

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:43 pm 
Prized Contributor

Go by some 2071 and be done with it!

That guy wants to sell the adhesive with more mark up on it!

Moisture test afterwards! Before maybe, but afterwards???
Never heard of it. If your moisture vapor is sky high, wood may not be in your future, regardless if you use knock-down or MVP!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:20 pm 
Valued Contributor

Sou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:32 am 
Newbie Contributor

Chuck, I saw your posts on Dritac; Is it really as good as Bostiks? Last time I checked Dritac's website, I was confused by so many options; Which one do you use - 7600? IIRC one of the Dritac versions doesn't require rolling, which is nice. Both Bostiks and Taylor require it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:52 pm 
Valued Contributor

Its

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:58 am 
Newbie Contributor

difigu,

I am so curious as to what you are gluing down. It seems that you have been researching for a very long time. Is this for the project that you were researching?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
They have a pressure sensitive adhesive that some folks love

You mean the real sticky stuff? I've probably mentioned it before, but that stuff will keep a floor down better than Bostiks--especially bowed boards. A delight when I used to install some of that Bruce builders grade engineered stuff that would literally spring out of the boxes. Trust me on this one. I've installed and torn up both--both installed by me--water damage. DriTac was a darned nightmare to tearup--not to say Bostiks isn't either.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:38 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Dri-Tack., the watery, rubbery, sticky stuff. Lets you reattach floors days later. Got a low spot. Weight it down and it'll stick. Easy clean up. I'm considering going back to this after all the hassles with moisture cures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:32 pm 
Valued Contributor

Ju

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:40 pm 
Newbie Contributor

To Sandy - This is for engineered Santos on slab. Yes it has been a long time, mostly because I have had mishaps along the way (very long story - bad contractors) starting with the "open tread/open riser" stairs. Most of my flooring will be solid - African Rosewood (bubinga), also a long story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:00 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Quote:
Trust me on this one. I've installed and torn up both--both installed by me--water damage. DriTac was a darned nightmare to tearup--not to say Bostiks isn't either.

Well, I've removed about 1000 sqft of Tarkett longstrip that was glued down (another long story). But that stuff came off pretty easy, we just scraped it off. The glue was hard, not guey. I dont know what it was, but it was terrible glue. The floor popped all over the place, even after injecting the hollow spots...

So I shouldn't skimp on the glue, but the cost of Bostiks MVP is holding me back, since the spread rate is not so good... I dont have a moisture problem according to Tramex, but taking the precaution anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:08 pm 
Valued Contributor

There may be confusion about the Urethan adhesives. They do not STOP moisture migration. The water will still come through and stain wood flooring.
Urethane adhesives won't degrade with high moisture but they do not stop the water.
I see failures with the BB adhesive often and it is because the installer/retailer/consumer thought the adhesive would stop moisture migration........ The complaints are always "discolorations".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:01 pm 
Valued Contributor

dri