Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dishwasher Leak....cupping on 3 week old Exotic Braz Cherry
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:57 pm 
New User

I had Cherry Hardwood installed in kitchen, dining room and hallway.
The stuff looks amazing at night especially. Anyways. I am totally new to hardwoods. We had a 7 ft area rug in the kitchen, covering most of the work area. I started to notice waves in front of the dishwasher (Sunday). I knew something wasn't right, but didn't know the problem. Tuesday rolls around, and I notice the waves are extending outward across the floor in front of the dishwasher.
That night I hit the internet and learn that it is called supping, and is casued by moisture.
Wednesday morning I pull the dishwasher out and see WATER!
I disconnected the dishwasher.
My estimate is ,that this leak has been happening once every other day when we run the DW.
Floor is 3 weeks old, water present approx. 2 weeks, but not constant.
What are the chances of this correcting itself ( I keep reading that hardwoods can)?
How long am I looking to see a diff. in the cupping?
Like I said I am a newbie to the HW experience.
It is beautiful stuff. Nothing like walking on Hardwood floor in socks. Solid.
Weird..I know!
Thanks

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:47 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

A very common accident in kitchen installs. Did the installer remove/disconnect the dish washer? Did the installer re connect the dish washer? Is the dish washer still under warranty from the manufacturer? If yes to any of these questions, you need to contact the appropriate people in those businesses. If no, then you contact your home owners insurance company. If the floor was flooded/soaked, they rarely ever go back to their original shape. The damaged wood should be removed and patched/ replaced. With water damage, nowdays, we suggest removal to allow everything to dry out to ensure no mold growth.

Post subject: cupping
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:49 pm 
New User

IMHO don't contact your insurance company. Many times phone calls are counted as "claims" incredible as it may seem. You may find yourself canceled. I'm not saying to never make a claim but house insurance (unfortunately) is not for the small stuff. You will probably "pay" for a small claim many times over in increased premiums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:14 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

It depends on where you live and your insurance company. I do many claims for homeowners insurance, some a few times, and none have complained about how they were treated by their insurance carrier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:33 pm 
New User

maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I think it might be leveling off a bit on some places.
I'll give a few more days of drying out.
Thanks
p.s.
I had a claim from a tornado up in Jersey. $12,000. Next year I rec. a notice of dropped insurance.. No big deal really. Homeowners isn't that major of an expense.