Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dishwasher won't fit if hardwood installed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:04 pm 
New User

Hello. I am installing a 3/4" oak hardwood in my kitchen and I am having issues with the height of my built-in dishwasher. Currently, my dishwasher fits perfect underneath my counter top with almost no room to spare. That's with a 1/2 inch particle board on top of my subfloor. I've removed the particle board to expose the subfloor, but if I install the hardwood underneath the dishwasher, I'll be 1/4 too high, therefore the dishwasher won't fit. Is there any way to install so that the hardwood will fit with the dishwasher and still be flush with the flooring? Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:03 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

If you're keeping your existing dishwasher, then all I can think off is to trim the cabinet area directly above the diswasher. All you may have is a piece of 3/4" thick wood going across from one side to another. This could be cut up about 3/8" to accomodate the dishwasher. Also, most feet are adjustable. Are yours raised all the way up? You could take those adjusting feet off and gain a 1/4" or so as well. I wouldn't install the dishwasher below the new flooring. You may trap it in there. The most difficult problem would be if you had a granite counter top that was so low it blocked the dishwasher! All I can say is get out the belt sander with real coarse sandpaper and sand what's above the dishwasher opening to gain more height.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:23 pm 
New User

If it's a Formica counter top with a rolled over edge you can lift up the top and install 3/8 plywood under the counter top on top of the cabinets and you wouldn't be able to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:30 pm 
Valued Contributor

Gary has apparently done this before. :D If you are that close, just get rid of the legs altogether. I have done it more times than I can remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:17 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Why put hardwood under the dishwasher anyway? The only time anyone will ever see it is when the appliance is replaced. Most toekick panels are very adjustable so just level it as low as possible and run the wood in far enough so the toe kick covers it. This should give you plenty of room to pull it out far enough that you have clearance to raise the front of the machine and pluck it out. Just make sure of the clearance before you drive the nails.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:46 pm 
New User

Thanks for everyones help! I actually removed the legs off the dishwasher altogether and it slides in and out smoothly! The difference was a 1/4 of an inch and removing the rubber legs helped. Thanks again!