Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Distressed floor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:26 pm 
New User

Hi,

I have a 100 year old fir wood floor in pretty bad condition :evil: . I plan on replacing the worst of the bad boards and sanding down the whole floor. I am still going to be left with plenty of dings and nails holes and such and am not a big fan of wood putty. Is there some sort of epoxy or clear finish that I can use for dings, gaps and nail holes that wont interfere with the final finish? I am thinking Bona Traffic for the final finish.

Thanks, Milo

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Distressed floor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:44 pm 
Valued Contributor

one brand of filler that works well is timbermate which is water based. it will fill the hole with colored material (opaque)

But you mentioned clear so I might recommend marine epoxy.It is a two component filler that sets up very fast. When i get a reclaimed or distressed type of floor and there's huge holes , I typically put wood dust into the bottom of the hole and then fill it with the epoxy. For dark knots , I use black sand which you can get at a landscaping supply house. I put some sand into the hole so that you can't see the sub floor and then fill the rest with the epoxy.

Sometimes, if you just pour epoxy, it will run under the boards so by first adding dust or sand, you sort of plug the hole and keep the epoxy contained.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Distressed floor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:42 am 
New User

Paul, Thank you for the advice that's pretty much what I needed to know. I am going for the real distressed floor look not the fabricated distressed look which is why I was thinking of a clear filler.
Will the Bona Traffic adhere to the epoxy ok?

Another question I had... I think I read somewhere that if you use wipe the floor with kerosene before applying the finish, it allows the boards to have some expansion/ contraction movement under the finish with out cracking or splitting. (I have under floor radiant heat) Is there anything to that?

Thanks, Milo

Profile E-mail