Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DIY pics
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:10 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Here are the pics from the floor I just did. 3.5" birch planks from a sawmill close to here and Satin Bona Traffic. Just ignore the ugly fireplace and the lack of paint and trim.

Two of the following pics were taken wet. Also, I want to thank any of you that answered my questions and helped me out. It definitely wouldn't have turned out this nice without you. The worst part about this is that it actually turned out nicer than the floor I had professionally installed (same wood, same finish).

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:37 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Looks absolutely fabulous! Did you use the U-sand to sand it? If so, it did a terrific job. Slow, I know, but the results were worth it, don't you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:13 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Yep, I used the U-sand. It did do a very good job, but it literally took about 12 hours of sanding. I started at 3pm on friday, stopped once for a snack, and finished sanding at 3am on Saturday. I rode around on top of it for awhile to give it some extra cutting power, I'd probably still be sanding if I hadn't added the extra weight to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:50 am 
Newbie Contributor

How did you apply? Tbar, or roller?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:33 am 
Newbie Contributor

T-bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:44 pm 
Prized Contributor

Looks great.

Makes you not want to put it into use, doesn't it!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:15 am 
Prized Contributor

That is a very, very nice job. Beautiful :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:59 am 
Newbie Contributor

How easy was the tbar to use? I'm doing mine soon, and will either use a roller or a tbar. How many sq ft was this? I was also planning on using a usand, but I'll have probably 1200 sq ft to do.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:25 pm 
Newbie Contributor

It was easy. You just have to make sure you maintain a wet edge and angle the t-bar so you are "snowplowing" the finish in the direction you are working in so you don't get streaks. I also noticed that when you pour the finish onto floor, that is spreads out quite a bit more if the floor has already been coated, so when you put the t-bar down, you have to put it down about 6-8 inches behind the puddle, or you'll get a thick spot.

Each coat took me about 15 minutes or so. Just don't rush it and take care not to get any drips or puddles. Make sure you have good light so you can get down on your hands and knees to see if you missing any spots or applied it too thick in some places. On my first coat, I had a couple of puddles, and I sanded them down using 150 grit. Take your time if you need to do this or the finish could ball up and separate from the floor. The final coat went on perfect because I took a bit more care when I put it down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:57 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks for answering my questions, now I have another couple. What size tbar did you use, and any special pad you used?

What size room was it?

How fast did it dry? I've got 2 rooms connected through a doorway that shouldn't be a problem, but then it connects to a hallway, that splits, and goes into two more rooms. I'm worried about the edge drying as I move between the rooms, but if it is pretty quick I guess it won't matter. Otherwise I'd have to find a good spot to tape it off and do in two sections.

Ron