Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DIYer with Water Based Poly Disaster
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:47 pm 
New User

I have a rental home with prefinished oak. My new renters coming in have two dogs so I was holding off until they leave to get the floors professionally refinished. I just wanted to get a recoat to protect it. Using what I learned from this site, I screened with 150 grit screens both the living room and the dining room. I vacumed and then wiped the surface clean with mineral spirits. I did the upstairs dining room with minwax OMU ( as recommended on this site as a cheap alternative to the professional grade finishes). I rolled it on using a Purdy Dove 3/8 in nap roller. It came out very nice, looks professionally done.
Then I got stupid, and tried the waterbased minwax on the living room. I started to have my doubts as soon as I put it on. It just would not level out, kind of beaded up. Now I have bad alligator skin over most of the floor. I know that the water based a harder to work with, but I do not think the problem was with the application of the urethane. I must have did something wrong with the prepping of the floor, but I thought that I did a good screening and cleaning with mineral spirits. Also the temperature and humidity was ideal. I am not sure what caused it, but more interested in what to do next.

1) Rescreen (hand sand) and try a different water base?

2) Rescreen (hand sand) and use an oil base? I would like to do this because I had such good results with the oil based. The problem is that I do not have 30-60 days to let the water based cure.

3) Some other option?

4) Suck it up, admit defeat, and call in a pro to bail me out? Does it require a full refinish to fix?

I would like to get it acceptable, not perfect. The new renters have lots of area rugs (deployments in Afghanistan), and two big labs.

I am short on time because I leave home for a 2 months and would like to fix it before I leave. Gentlemen, thanks in advance for any advice.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:03 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

The problem is you tacked with mineral spirits. Mineral spirits is fine when you're using oil, but you have to tack with water if you're using water-based. Read the instructions on the bottle.

Screen at least twice using two different grits (100 then 150 maybe) then tack with the APPROPRIATE solvent. Finally, finish per manufacture's instructions.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:53 am 
New User

Thanks. Once I do a good screening with 100 then 150 should I can I use an Oil based or should I use a water based?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:25 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Now that you have put a water-based on the floor, you will need to stay with that.