Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Does this look like"Select" white oak flooring?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:37 pm 
New User

Does this look like "Select" I just came home from vacation and this is what I see... :cry:
I can't figure out how to upload pictures so here is a link to my Houzz post with pictures attached.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/49 ... ood-floors

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Does this look like"Select" white oak flooring?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:28 am 
Worthy Contributor

When you take photos of the knots, it looks less select of course. You need to take a photo of the whole space to show us the ratio of knotty boards throughout the space. Select or Better does allow for some knots, and from the photos posted, if you had say, 2000+sqft installed, that would be acceptable by NWFA and manufacturer standards. However if you had only 400sqft installed and it had this many knots, I'd say there was a mix up and you did not receive Select grade (or you did but by chance you happened to get a mix of boxes that were less than ideal).

Best question to ask yourself is "Does it look good?" and if yes, then keep it. If no, then you can insist on a reinstall, but don't expect the installers to do a good job the second time around (since it will be an at-cost installation) and in my experience, installers absolutely hate taking up perfectly good flooring.

In these situations I tell customers, show me a tree without branches and I'll show you a wood floor without knots!

Profile E-mail