Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DOG BREEDER AND HARDWOOD FLOORS MOPPING DAILY DISINFECTING
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:00 pm 
New User

HELP PLEASE. I live in Texas, and I did show and breed Shih Tzu's for years. I have 10 dogs who live with me in my home. Problem is I have hardwood floors in a large portion of my house. As such I have to mop the floors daily and dISINFECT and have been doing this for many years and then refinishing my hardwood floors with a water based urethane every six months or so. Questions:

I was reading about Aluminimum oxide treated floors. Can this treatment be applied to existing floors and would it help my situation? If so where could I purchase the treatment and what could I expect.
What if any product would be the least damaging to my existing floors to carry out the daily mopping and disinfecting?
Finally, I was also reading about the tile that can be laid over existing floors called Edge and available via Lowes. Would this be durable. I wonder if it would be something like a prego floor (squeak) and how the filler would be maintained.
I really appreciate ANYONE taking the time to advise me. If you have product I will certainly get it through you. Wishing you a Happy Holidays.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:39 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I would recommend an industrial grade vinyl of the type used in hospitals. http://www.bbriefings.com/pdf/747/hosp041_burns.pdf There is an aluminum oxide finish available for use on recoats. It's called Trek Plus http://www.ambassador.biz.ua/eng/trekpluse.php
While it is said to be more durable, mopping and bleaching of wood floors will cause them to cup and warp eventually. Annual recoats will be expensive and inconvenient. Ceramic tile is durable and moisture resistant but I think the grout would be difficult to keep clean. Sheet vinyl is the floor of choice in your situation.

Post subject: Mopping
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:06 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

If you can limit the amount of water you slosh about, you may be able to use a "Loose Lay" sheet vinyl like Tarkett"s fibre floor. The advantages this product would offer are;
- goes down without adhesive
- you could probably get away without underlayment
- you can roll it up and get it out of the way when entertaining

Good luck!