Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Doorway Threshold Transition
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:32 am 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks for the great advice so far. I'm a DIYer who is going to be ordering a Kahrs floating floor in the next week or 2. I have a question about what to do at a doorway threshold. The following pictures are of a double door set that leads to a deck.

I'm not really sure how to make the transition to the wood flooring here. The Kahrs accessories list shows a square nose reducer that would proably work. I'd like to undercut the threshold but I'm not sure if it would be possible to do that and still have adequate expanstion space. Just FYI for all those looking, we will be moving the HVAC register. :D

Anyway, I have 3 doors of this type. 2 of them are double doors and the flooring will be installed length-wise at the transition (with the grain). 1 of them is a single door leading out to the garage and the ends will be butted up to it.

One more question. Is it possible to change direction of a Kahrs Lock-joint sytle floor in the field? Advice?

Thanks,
Ryan

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:02 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

IMO, you will need to install the square nose at the existing door threshold. I believe you will be able to hold the Kahr's floor about 1&1/4" away from the door and then install the square nose and still have enough expansion space. Kahr's doesn't lend itself to direction changes very well. I'd forget about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:45 pm 
Prized Contributor

I also use the square nose reducers at most exterior doors. You could undercut the threshold, but the doors would need to be on your starting wall and not the end wall.

I'm not sure what you mean by direction change. Backing up is fairly easy, but turning a 90 deg. without a transition I wouldn't advise.

Profile E-mail