Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Doorway transistions to carpet.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:48 am 
New User

Howdy,

I am installing 2 1/4 x 3/4 red oak flooring and have 4 doorways to deal with. One goes to linoleum and the 3 other three go to carpet. My question is how do you get around the door jams and how far into the door jam should you go?

From the pictures I can find I can easily see that the outside trim of the doorway must be trimmed up so the floor can go under neath it, but what about the jam? Do you just have to "cut out" parts of the piece that "wraps" around that door jam, or do you cut off part of the bottom of the door jam the same as you do the trim?

I have also trimmed that little piece that sits in the middle of the door jam to be level with the trim on the outside of the door.

And to confirm my other question is it customary to take the wood halfway through the actual door?

Thanks

dbl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:42 am 
Prized Contributor

Buy or make a rounded wood reducer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:48 am 
Worthy Contributor

They sell a reducer strip for the vinyl . They should have it where you bought the wood .

You have to under cut the jam to the center of where the door closes .
when you close the door you won't see the br cpt from the hall or the wood from the bedroom .

You can just quarter turn a piece of the wood you are installing , cut the tongue if you have it layed out that the tongue will be on the inside of the door , put a piece of cpt tackless in front of it , stretch it up and cut it to the wood , and tuck it in .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:57 am 
New User

Maybe I didn't make clear the main question I have. Do I trim off the bottom of the door jam so that the wood fits underneath it or should I be more precise with my cuts and wrap them around the door jam?

As I said in my first message I know I go under that little strip that runs down the middle of the jam and that the door "rests" against when closed but what about the door jam itself?

I realize that I have to cut "L" shaped pieces so that I can continue the floor through the door jam to the door its just whether to go around the door jams or under them?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:14 pm 
Worthy Contributor

You said it in your post . under them . that is what is meant by undercutting the jams . The door molding you refer to is called stop molding .
You have to cut the clam shell in the hallway , the complete jam into the center where the door stops .

You can get a piece of scrap and put it next to the jam and drawl a pencil line across the jam . you will have perfect cuts .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:20 pm 
Prized Contributor

Undercut it so the flooring goes underneath, but where the reducer sits, don't undercut that. The reducer is cut tight across the doorway jamb to jamb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:15 am 
Site Admin

db:

Some pics at the link below. Maybe they'll help. Scroll down the page.

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... sholds.htm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:37 am 
New User

Well I'm gathering from all this that I probably should have cut all the door jams before I started.... oopps a little late for that. I have all the floor laid in the hallway and just have the transitions left.

Any recommendations on how to do this after the fact? By this I mean that on one side of the hallway the boards are next to the wall and on the other side the I have about 2/3 of a board width between the last board laid and the wall.

Thanks

dbl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:05 am 
Worthy Contributor

Pull a few boards out if you have to in order to cut the jams .
Worth doing right .