Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dull Finish on Repair
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:36 pm 
New User

I had about 1000' of red oak refinished a few months ago. Bona Nutmeg stain and Satin DuraSeal polyurethane ("fabulon"). Floors came out great. I noticed a scratch, probably from a vacuum and maybe some cat litter, and i reached out to my installer and he indicated that I could tape off a few boards, sand with some 150-180 paper and do a quick coat to take care of the scratch. I purchased the exact same poly has he used and the finish on the repaired boards is substantially duller than the existing. I ended up having the installer come out and he did the same, and while its better, its still quite dull. He even checked with the mfg. rep about the age of my poly in a quart size (it was new) and he used poly from his own inventory from a 5 gallon container. Any ideas on what to do here short of screening the entire floor and doing another coat? Its not horrible but it stands out when you walk into the room.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=5575C274 ... 13&o=OneUp

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dull Finish on Repair
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:38 pm 
Prized Contributor

It is made the same whether a quart or a 5 gallon container. The difference is how much satining agent is suspended in the finish solution. If your mechanic removed the lid of the five gallon container there would probably be some satining agent on the bottom of the large can, since it is hard to stir a big container to mix it up completely. A small fresh quart is more likely to have all of the satining agent mixed in so it will be less shiny. As you walk on the finish it will become shinier as the surface gets polished because it is a plastic finish that has the satining on the surface and it gets polished.
The best solution to the problem is to coat the whole surface. This is going to present problems with moving furniture or going from one room to another and making sure the floor is very clean before the coat. Another problem is making some tooth for the finish to stick and then covering with a coat of finish that fills in any prep scratches with any bubbles from being too thick of a coat.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dull Finish on Repair
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:39 am 
New User

[img][/https://www.flickr.com/photos/200495418@N06/53657920453/in/dateposted-public/

Here’s a public photo…

Profile E-mail