Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Duraceramic install went bad* long post*
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:15 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Ok, Sat I installed a duraceramic floor It's a small area only 23 tiles 15.5X15.5. tiles. If you don't know about the product you have to lay the glue and let it sit for about 45-60 min before placeing the tile on top. It took about 4 hours and came out sweet, Well at least I thought. You don't need any molding or base around the sides or tub . I leave the job and get a call from my boss. Saying the owner is very unhappy something about the lines being off,
So after I finish job #2 I head back over their. He brings me in and says the room is 3/8's off, and the whole room is twisted. He takes out a framing square and places it in the corner and it's dead on. He goes on to say he spent tons of money to make sure the room was "balls on"., and he wants it done over. Now we sub contract for a local carpet store that gave us the job. He says if his carpenter/builder finds out he will drop the carpet store in a heart beat. I guess he gives them alot of work.
I told him best I could do was to tell my boss and overall he has the last word. He was fusterated but understanding. He is a plumber of 35 years. Their is a pocket door on the bathroom and he says he can't leave it open and you can see it's off. Money is no option so knocking off some cash will not do it. I already wasted 4 hours on this and it will take another maybe 6 to replace it. Not to mention we need 2 boxes of tile that run about 100.00 a box. I already worked the 4 hours for free, I can't do another 6 plus the tile. I messed up so feel I sould pay for it or not get paid to do it.
We are booked solid for vacation week. So I don't know what's going to happen. We have been working about 50+ hr a week in 5 days and the last 3 weeks working sat. and sometimes sunday. Last week I had 65 HR. If you had an employee in this situation what would you do. I've been working for the company for 3 years ( doing floor for 7 total)and basically run the show. Start to finish the jobs are all me besides a helper or 2.
Thanks for your input.
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:51 pm 
Prized Contributor

Sounds to me like it way past time, to raise you companies price structure, for services rendered.

If it was "balls on" what's the problem?? Did the store the subcontracts your services have a specific layout? Who's running the show, needs to bite the big one, because something got lost in the communication chain. You can only do what is asked, before the installation is started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:23 pm 
Worthy Contributor

What is the name of this site again? Here's the site(s) to post this question. www.flooringinstaller.com or http://www.i-boards.com/bnp/fci/. Have a good day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:10 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I'm well aware of the name of the site, That's why I posted in the contractor chitchat, and not the general hardwood flooring question but that's anyway
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:10 am 
Site Admin

Try www.johnbridge.com

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:52 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Duraceramic isn't real ceramic Ken, kind of a hybrid resilient tile. I didn't even try to advise, because after reading your long post, I had too many questions to answer any of yours. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.