Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Duraseal Oil Odor/Toxicity
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:37 pm 
New User

Hi,

I have another post in a different forum regarding the use of the Duraseal Oil based polyurethane for refinishing about 900 square feet of red oak flooring.

I originally wanted to be as green as possibly and use Bona Traffic as a finish, especially since I have a three year old and a five year old running around the house. I have had some troubles with the application of the Bona and was thinking to switching to the Duraseal.

My questions for you folks are how nasty is that stuff and how long does the nastiness last? Obviously I will ventilate and wear a good respirator while using the stuff (if I do decide to switch over). But how long do I need to wait until I can bring in the family? A couple of days? A week or so? Two weeks?

On a side note, what do you folks think about the (perceived) benefits of using oil vs. water based finishes?

Thanks,

Kevin

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Duraseal Oil Odor/Toxicity
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:15 pm 
Prized Contributor

most people return to normal the next day. Its not like you are putting moisture cure or acid cure finishes. Oil poly does have an odor but as far as finishers most of the guys around here dont even wear a mask if that helps you fears any. Oil is going to have more open time so its easier to work simply because it wont set up so fast as you are working. also due to the slow dry time it allows the film to penetrate into the wood for a deeper richer look. Durability may be better with a high end two component waterborne like traffic but it still doesnt compare to the look its close but I still can spot a waterborne finish any day of the week.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Duraseal Oil Odor/Toxicity
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:31 pm 
New User

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your speedy reply. That does alleviate my fears some as I obviously don't want to expose myself or my kids to any harmful chemicals. I will most likely apply one day and then wait for a couple of days/nights before bringing the family in, if nothing else just for the smell.

I will of course read the instructions carefully but can I ask:
What tool do you recommend to apply the stain? (Can I use a terrycloth towel?)
...the sealer?
...the finish?

I was told to wait about a day and half or two days between applying the stain and the sealer. What about the wait time between the sealer and the finish? What about the wait time between the finish and the next coat of finish? I am guessing about 65 degrees average room temp with about 40-60% humidity.

Thanks! I am feeling much more at ease about it all.

Kevin

Profile E-mail