Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dust Extractors DCS ???
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:33 am 
Newbie Contributor

I'm in the market for a DCS. it needs to be able to handle the output from edgers. I've looked at the Bona DCS. Seems nice, but a bit expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a unit that they like. It needs to be rugged, have the cfm capacity to keep up with edgers, and be very efficient at dust removal. Also, I need to be able to get bage, filters, parts locally Connecticut. Is this possible at a price less than the Bona?

A very dependable tool outlet has a Fein 9.88.35 for a good price

http://www.fein.ca/products/fein/other/ ... Turbo%20IV

Way under list. I've also looked at the Turbo III. It's smaller & lighter, but I wonder if 126 cfm will cut it. Thanks in advance......Pete

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:21 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

The CFM stated for the Fein is quite low in comparison to other dust extraction systems. My back pac vac is higher at 150 and did not work with my edger very well. I recommend looking elsewhere. With dust extraction, you really do get what you pay for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:46 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks Gary. That's what I suspected. I talked to a local guy yesterday who said it took him over a year before he realized the dust he was seeing was because his vac wasn't keeping up with his edger. He ended up getting a Bona DCS. Do you have any suggestions for other brands that might cost a bit less, or should I bite the bullet? BTW If we ever cross paths, I'll owe you a few cold ones! Thanks again...........Pete

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:50 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I forgot to add that the specs for the Bona DCS super vac are 112 cfm, the H.P DCS is 160 cfm.....Pete

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:28 pm 
Prized Contributor

Check this out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=45378

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=47911

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:36 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Also check this out.

www.oneidavac.com

Post subject: Floorguy & Buddy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:31 am 
Newbie Contributor

Floorguy
Thanks for the info. I've seen them in lost of wood shops, and might get one for mine. They seem kind of bulky, but then they're mostly all bag. Have you used a shop dust system for floor work?

Buddy
Do you use an Onida? If so, what do you think of it? I'm going to be helping a guy on a job next week who had one. I'll be asking him about it then.

Thanks.... Pete

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:11 am 
Worthy Contributor

I just bought the Clarke system. Supposed to handle two machines at once. Works great for me. Don't forget that noise is something to consider too.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:16 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Marco,
I looked at the Clarke Vac CAV-15 yesterday. Is that the one you bouagt? It looks like a nice unit. The brochure shows it hooked up to a FloorCrafter. I have to wonder about that, but I'm sure it will handle the other stuff well. Yes, you are very right about the noise. I've had some very noisy jobs, and it will wear you down, along with the hearing damage. If I took better care of my ears while around C130's, huh probably wouldn't be the word I use most.
Thanks...Pete

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:41 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Pete wrote:
Marco,
I looked at the Clarke Vac CAV-15 yesterday. Is that the one you bouagt? It looks like a nice unit. The brochure shows it hooked up to a FloorCrafter. I have to wonder about that, but I'm sure it will handle the other stuff well.

Yes, thats the one. I thought it was a happy medium. Not too big to work out of a compact truck, enough capacity to handle a typical floor without having to empty, quiet. Pricey at $800 w/tax with the deluxe wands but I've had great fun impressing the housewives about my $800 vacuum. They used to just point and laugh at my little Compact(a very good vac also).
In my mind the whole system is one of those life-changing events, equivalent to the Senco finish nailer. I feel less tired after edging, certainly cleaner and don't dread the dirty work so much. Haven't rasied any prices because of it yet, but it has helped sell a job or two already. The system is worthless without the buffer though, so count on another $1400 for a compatible one. My old buffer is for sale.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:12 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Marco, Enjoy your new toy - the women are going to LOVE you now! I think they will pay more to have you around too....Pete

Profile E-mail