Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dying times for poly and humidity question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:32 am 
New User

Hi everyone, I just got done sanding mahogany stain off of a 1963 oak hard wood floor. It was pure hell, and took a very long time but it turned out great. So good in fact that id like to just lay polyurethane over the floor. The dry times are killing me though, as my whole upstairs where my bathroom and kitchen are is where I sanded. I'm in upstate NY right now, and I have a wood burning stove, if I don't run my humidifiers I can literally suck the mosture out of the air to an uncomfortable level. Would this help the drying time? Would it hurt it and make it dry to fast? Does dry time depend on other factors besides heat and humidity? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dying times for poly and humidity question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:05 pm 
Prized Contributor

I would recommend a light brown stain for mahogany, which will enhance the mahogany look in the pores. An oil based stain will help seal the wood like a thinned down varnish. You can get on a stained floor almost immediately and it doesn't smell too bad. I use little skates made from carpet to put underfoot. Buffing after the stain has dried over-night with #2 steel wool will make the first coat of finish come out smoother. Two coats of poly would be all you need, then.
Low humidity will help the floor cure better, but the warmth from the stove will have more of an effect. Fans to move the air around help a lot, also.
Stain will make machine marks show, so it's more for someone who knows how to sand, but the results are worth it. It need not be dark, too.
Golden brown thinned with two or three parts natural is all it needs, since mahogany has such large pores.
It will look great "natural", too, but will be more yellow.

Profile E-mail