Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Elastilon - Eliminates Subfloors On Concrete & More
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Guys:

I got this email today and wondered what you thought of it. I see there has been some small talk previously but it didn't go far. What's your take?

A dynamic new way to install high-performance solid hardwood floors - with No nails, No glue.

Elastilon Self-Adhesive Underlay Membrane is the first simple, fast and cost-effective mehod of installing solid hardwood (prefinished or unfinished), from 5/16” to as thick as 1”, and engineered flooring, above and below grade, including concrete slab.

Elastilon Underlay Membrane solves the issue of solid hardwood not being structurally stable on a concrete slab, and reduces a traditionally complex installation to an easy, clean 3-step peel-and-stick process.

http://www.elastilonusa.com/index.php

Some discussion by a visitor...

can-float-harwood-oak-floor-t7756.html?hilit=Elastilon

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Elastilon - Eliminates Subfloors On Concrete & More
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:26 pm 
Prized Contributor

Not so sure about solid, gonna have to have a perfect flat floor and very flat wood.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:57 pm 
New User

This product was developed in Europe. It has been sold over 10 yrs now. In S. Africa, over 400,00 sq ft have been installed with zero callbacks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:14 pm 
Valued Contributor

Like Stephen says your product has to be flat never mind straight If you have warped boards forget it. Which is ironic since it seems it can only be bought at LL(LOL).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:02 pm 
Prized Contributor

Saw an unmarked sample of this at LL a couple years ago, didn't know the name, or that it was actually being sold. Gotta keep an open mind on new innovations, ( or maybe just new out here). I too cant think of many manufacturers that would fit the bill of the consistant precision required to install their material using that method. By the way ...How many manufacturers warranty their material using this method? Obviously a whole different way of installing.

The more I read on this stuff, the more it scares me. The installation instructions have counterdictions all over the place. IE: " Can be installed over newly poured slabs" :shock:," Installation over concrete slab must be over 60 days old". " Over existing wood floors"( mold?, delamination? etc.). Moisture barrier counterdictions, install methods etc.etc.

I'll stop there, only have 10 hours till I'm on the job again.
I'll pass, like to sleep at night, I guess throw the "open mind" out the window :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:06 am 
New User

I have been using Elastilon for the past few months on many installations. It changed my life. I believe one day soon it will be the ONLY way to install hardwoods. I buy it from LL because I understand they are the only game in town (speaking with Elastilon they claim it is soon coming to more and more retailers. Let's wait and see). I agree that it has to be installed on flat concrete and the boards must be flat, but this should be the case anyway, for any kind of installation, be it glue or nail down. By the way, LL are actually pretty good. These guys know what they are doing let me tell you. To have the insight and courage to be the first one to try this product, and the success they are having with it - everyone is talking about it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:38 am 
New User

I don't understand people that do not want to try new ways of doing things! :? I have to say that I have been using the Elastilon product since late last year, LL seems to be the only game in town right now, and I really love this product!. It is true what they say. It installers faster and easier then anything out there. I can do more floors in a day and I have had no problems so far. :)
I have installed it over mostly concrete with 3/4" and no problems. I just make sure that I always use a vapor barrier (as an insurance policy) as the instructions say. I have to say that it is really important to make sure that there is proper expansion. it is a free floating floor so it has to be able to move. Instructions are clear on this.
Also installed it over exisitng flooring. One floor was old hardwood floor and the other was a vinyl floor. Just had to make sure the floor was flat, stable and no loose debris. No callbacks!
I am a believer in this product and can't say enough about it.
I have to say the guys at LL are really up on this product and have been a great source on information. It's not cheap but if i can install more floors in less time with no call backs, it's worth everypenny :lol:

jwinstaller

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:55 am 
New User

I want to install 3/4" unfinished oak on my main level which is concrete. Will Elastilon work? I am not so sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:50 pm 
Prized Contributor

so anyone besides the one post wonder guys have any experince with the product. No offense but john's reply about LL staff knowing what the hell they are talking about sounds a little out of place. Im sure the are some good guys who work for LL just man up and say who you are for real Johnny b. Wood. I got a feeling I know.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:59 pm 
Prized Contributor

johnwoodright wrote:
I don't understand people that do not want to try new ways of doing things! :? I have to say that I have been using the Elastilon product since late last year, LL seems to be the only game in town right now, and I really love this product!. It is true what they say. It installers faster and easier then anything out there. I can do more floors in a day and I have had no problems so far. :)

I'll try to un-confuse you LL dude.
Most installers that have been in this business for a number of years are willing to look into something new, and research it. This is how they stay ahead of the competition and dont get run over. These same installers value their reputation as their lifeline. That being said ... It's an interesting product, and I plan on doing my do diligence, there's a lot of claims that dont sit right. Because a product is easier and faster to install, and has been down for a whole 6 to 9 months or so doesnt make it something to stake a reputation on.
On another note...The fact that LL is the sole source doesn't make it very inviting.

Profile E-mail