Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: employment
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:21 am 
New User

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum so hopefully I am in the right spot. I am a installer and sand/finisher in michigan with over 12 years experience in all aspects of wood fllooring and live in michigan. The economy is very slow here and it does not seem to be going to pick up anytime soon. Is the flooring industry bad all over right now? I have called different states and it seems it is alot better elsewhere. I think I am going to relocate either to the south or out in california. Is there any jobs out there for someone with my experience. Some input would be great. Thanks and have a good weekend.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:15 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Many have work elsewhere. I've heard Michigan was in dire straights. With your experience, you should have no problems finding employment. I would recommend working for a flooring company at first till you get your feet on the ground and used to your new location. California, especially in the SF Bay Area, pays better than many other places BUT it is also expensive to live here. Some southern states pay poorly IMO and some border states have a lot of immigrants, legal and otherwise, doing the work for less. Consider Idaho, California, Utah or anywhere the economy is doing better. Even consider restoration work in the Gulf states hit by Hurricane Katrina. Both Louisiana and Mississippi have much rebuilding to do and I've heard they're paying a premium for labor there as well. Also, consider posting on the Floormaster's message board. Many business owners there and some are now looking for help. Go to:

http://www.floormasters.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:39 pm 
New User

Relocating is a stressful situation, but ambition might help you through it. I am also from California, but way up in the real Northern California. I'm not installing any more, but the pay was always good. Look around the smaller communities if you like rural life.

FloorMasters is a great site. Another good one is www.TheFloorPro.com

Much luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:59 pm 
New User

Thanks for the advise so far. My fiance and I were thinking california but where might be a good area for someone like me that is semi affordable? I know it is expensive and I would like to be out on my own after working for someone. Just need direction on good company to work for and I will need to get licensed I presume. I am very ambitious and just looking to continue the craft. Not many people really want to work hard anymore. Thanks again and if there is anymore input that would be great. We also thought about florida. Is the wood floor business going alright there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:14 pm 
Prized Contributor

Vegas was booming.

Around Denver is suppose to be a good market.

The border and gulf states is cut throat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:01 pm 

My problem with the more rural communities, like the foothills in CA. where my in-laws live, is that there usually isn't enough work to go around. Many retirees move to rural areas and they typically do not have the money for the more expensive wood floors. Both my father-in-law and brother-in-law scrounged around for years for work, often taking jobs in the bay area because they wouldn't work for $8.00 an hour. Seems like everyone with a hammer and a skill saw is a "carpenter". However, skilled wood flooring installers and finishers are not common and typically can find a job just about anywhere that the economy is decent. The real estate market in CA is in the dumps right now so everyone is sitting back waiting for things to pick up. There's still remodeling going on but new construction has slowed significantly. One thing you could consider is google search for thriving economies in the states.
http://realestate.msn.com/Buying/Articl ... id=3863709
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag ... ities.html
http://www.findyourspot.com/
http://www.employmentspot.com/features/bestcities.htm
Then check out those communities for the things you want and need. Just keep whittlin' down the list. Then, when you have decided on what seems to be a good place to live with a good economy, go to the NWFA's web site ( http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/findpro.aspx )
and look to see what flooring companies are in that area. Then simply contact them about a job BEFORE you move. Personally, I'd set up a job BEFORE I'd move somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:37 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I'm in N. Central TN 38556 zip. Very rural, growing like crazy.
I've been advertising/begging for a flooring buis partner or installer/partner for 2 yrs. Men here just don't want to work.
I mill/ kiln /weinig. and have been woodworking since 82.
jim
some of my woodworks
http://solidwoods.zoomshare.com/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:59 pm 
Newbie Contributor

The flooring train is running strong here in Alabama where i am. I install for Home Depot and everyday is a work day. The installs slowed down for about 2 months to where it was just me and another guy and some days we didn't work but we are slammed now. Today is the first day ive had off in about 7 weeks! My step brother is a installer in North Carolina and he says he isn't short on work either. But here there is a ton of growth going on, and ive been told that it will be like this for the next 10 years. New construction isn't as good bcause of BRAK, but retail is great. I just can't make decent money in new construction because everyone undercuts and does horrible work for horrible money. I'm more into quality work for a quality price. You get more business by doing great work, not by doing lots of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:57 pm 

Hey guys, welcome aboard. Thanks for the input. And breakpoint, can I ask a question? What is BRAK? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:48 am 
Newbie Contributor

BRAC is a term known well in Huntsville (and maybe other defense related places), Base Realignment And Closure, meaning they are reducing the number of military bases, and some communities lose, but other gain. Huntsville is expecting an increase, as they have in the past.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:03 am 

OK, I'm familiar with military base closures. In the 90's, Clinton closed many here in CA. and it left many communities really hurting. Job layoffs and lots of foreclosure's. I never heard it called BRAK though. That's a new one on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:36 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Sorry typing error, BRAC. Its hit here big and the new construction is suffering because of it. I got out of new construction a little over a year ago so non of this effects me negatively. Around the base here there are a ton of older larger homes selling much cheaper than the newer ones being built, and the older ones are closer to the base...so they win. Most of the new homes are just sitting. My friend still does new construction and his largest builder has had around 10 homes that have been sitting for almost a year now, unheard of!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:54 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Get out of Michigan. I just saw a piece on CNN a few days back about how deperate the housing market is up there.

I've lived in the Raleigh, NC area for almost 7 years, and the housing market is still going strong down here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:32 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I've been an installer/finisher going on 18 yrs. and this economy in Michigan is the worst I've been through. I'm also considering a relocation to another part of the country. I'd like somewhere that has good growth without overcrowding and excellent motorcycle roads. Any ideas where I should go to? My wife wants to stick it out here, but like I told her, things here won't change until they realize not to depend so heavily on one industry. Maybe when the freshwater lakes all over the west dry up then people will want to come back :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:02 pm 

Quote:
I'd like somewhere that has good growth without overcrowding and excellent motorcycle roads.

Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Idaho, Montana (?), Colorado, Wyoming. Funny, you never hear anyone talk much about Wyoming. :?
You will need to compete with the immigrant labor force, probably more so in the border states. :x