Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Engineered Hardwood wear or peeling of top layer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:31 pm 
New User

Hi, I have Artree Engineered Hardwood floors, about 4 years old (already installed when we bought house). The floors are showing wear or peeling of top layer (not delamination, I don't think) in a few spots, getting worse over the last 6 months. The floors are dark brown/hickory and the problem areas show as a much lighter tan. No real pattern to where the problems are occurring, probably about 5% of the entire surface is starting to have this problem. I have tried to contact the manufacturer with no luck. Any idea what's going on and perhaps how to fix it? Thank you.
I am not able to post pics for some reason.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Engineered Hardwood wear or peeling of top layer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:31 pm 
Prized Contributor

Are the areas in high a traffic pattern? With a pre-finished floor that has a film finish you can apply another coat of finish over the existing. Basic Coatings has a system that uses an adhesion promoter after a thorough cleaning that helps the finish stick without any sanding. I recommend applying two coats of finish to give a better protective coat after all the time spent in cleaning and other prep, like moving furniture.
Consult with the flooring manufacturer to get advice on whether you can add more coats of poly-urethane. This would be better than applying a floor "polish".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Engineered Hardwood wear or peeling of top layer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:21 am 
New User

Pete A, thanks for the tips. Some of the problems areas are in high traffic locations, but most are not.

Profile E-mail