Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Engineered Pecan ?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:02 pm 
New User

I am trying to decide on what to put down in our South FL home. We like the Bruce Greenwich plank engineered hardwood (pecan) because it has a more subtle grain than oak, and is a harder wood. Since it is going to be glue down on slab, I want to make sure it is going to be stable. Are there any inherrent problems with pecan (engineered) that I should be concerned with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:46 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I installed an Anderson Pecan engineered plank floor over concrete about four yrs. ago with their Duck Glue adhesive. I went back recently to do some more work and the floor was performing fine. When the flooring is engineered, there are way less concerns about stability. But you should moisture test your concrete slab to be sure there is not excessive vapor transmission. Every manufacturer has different guidelines for acceptable vapor transmission limits. Some are as low as 3 lbs. in 24 hrs and others will accept 4.5 lbs., based on a calcium chloride test. You could use a sealer/ adhesive system by Bostik, Taylor or Franklin to ensure no moisture problems in the future. Or install over a low grade sheet vinyl.