Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Engineered wood adhesives ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:20 pm 
New User

Let me ask this question as I'm totally confused. I just purchased Mohawk 3/8" engineered 3" flooring to be layed on concrete and they want $100.00 for a 3.5g pail of adhesive. I have found two other products at a local big box store for about half that cost($60.00). My dilema is deciding if I can use Bruce Connection PR + or Parabound Engineered Plank and Parquet adhesive. One issue appears to be a voided warranty but setting that aside it seems there is a substantial cost difference between the Mnfg. adhesive and other substitutes. Can anyone comment as I thought they were pretty much equal but someone mentioned something called "moisture cure urethane". :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:59 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I wouldn't use PR+ to glue 2 sheets of paper together!. Parabond is also a crap adhesive. You have already spent the brunt of your money on the hardwood dont skimp on a cheap glue. What adhesive did they reccomend for $100?..Mohawk?. do you know what its called?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:26 pm 
Prized Contributor

Taylor 2071. Last time i priced it it was $88 for 4 gallons, my cost.
I like the Parabond 4002 Millinium, moisture cure urethane, as much as Bostiks BST. Best doesn't hold it's trowel ridges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:43 pm 
New User

[quote="Sean H"]I wouldn't use PR+ to glue 2 sheets of paper together!. Parabond is also a crap adhesive. You have already spent the brunt of your money on the hardwood dont skimp on a cheap glue. What adhesive did they reccomend for $100?..Mohawk?. do you know what its called?[/quote]
The Mohawk folks said it was Mohawk WUA2 Urethane hardwood flooring adhesive. Thanks for the advise ... you are probably right about skimping now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:46 am 
Worthy Contributor

From what I understand Mohawk is one of the sticklers for their glue and they do not specify any other glue than their own. If you use any others then you are left to the warranty that the glue manufacturer provides.

Here are their instructions:
http://www.mohawk-flooring.com/hardwood ... ctions.pdf

And here is the important part of the warrantee:

Quote:
Moisture Warranty
Mohawk Industries, Inc. hereby warrants to the original buyer of Mohawk engineered and longstrip wood flooring products against moisture damage due to topical spills or subfloor moisture under certain conditions for as long as you own your home.
Topical spills of normal household substances (food and beverage) must be removed promptly. Topical spills allowed to remain on the floor for any considerable time will damage the floor and void this warranty. Flooring must be installed following the Mohawk installation instructions. Plumbing accidents, leaking appliances (icemakers, dishwashers, clothes washers, etc.) are not topical spills and are not covered by our warranty.
Subfloor moisture, particularly from concrete slabs, is covered by this warranty under the following conditions: 1. The floor must be visibly dry immediately prior to installation. 2. The installation method used is the direct glue down application. 3. The installer must use Mohawk Professional Choice adhesive to install the Mohawk engineered wood floor. 4. The installer follows the Mohawk installation instructions and the instructions specified on the packaging of the Mohawk Professional Choice adhesive.
If the floor fails due to the incursion of moisture from the subfloor, Mohawk Industries will replace the damaged material at no cost to the "Buyer" one time only. This includes material only. Labor is excluded from this warranty and labor costs must be incurred by the "Buyer". Please note that this applies to engineered and longstrip wood only. The solid wood products are not approved for direct glue applications.
This limited warranty does not apply to Cabin grade or other downgraded or discontinued items. Any such Product or Products are sold "as is". MANUFACTURER HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE WHATSOEVER.
Any and all representatives, promises, warranties or statements by Manufacturer or its agents that differ in any manner from the terms of this limited warranty shall be of no force or effect unless in writing, signed by a duly authorized officer of Manufacturer.

Pretty much if you use anything else you are up the creek with them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I wouldn't use PR+ to glue 2 sheets of paper together!.

Mega ditto on that. Our Bruce supplier doesn't even handle it. What does that tell you about it?

Parabond? Seen it only once but never used it.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:56 pm 
Prized Contributor

kls, if that is true, Mohawk has to supply the adhesive at no extra cost above the flooring cost.

Moss warranty acts prevents a company to specify their own adhesives at a astronomical price compared to other adhesives with the same exact properties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:57 pm 
New User

interesting discussion FloorGuy. I'm impressed! I looked it up in Google and found the Warranty Act perhaps I should call the manufacturer and mention it to the them and see if they will release the other suggested manufacturer product.

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

One of the three FTC Rules under the Act. Section 108 Magnuson-Moss Act states the following:

[color=red]"[size=9]Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions [b]are not [/b]allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.[/size][/color]