Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3/8" Engineered Wood Flooring
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:57 pm 
New User

We are remodeling our family room, and found an engineered wood floor we really like, an Anderson Virginia Vintage 1/2" product I don't have the model name handy). We then found out that that particular product had been discontinued and the store neglected to remove the sample from the display. The salesperson at the store (who seemed pretty knowledgeable) said that the replacement for the Virginia Vintage model we liked is Anderson Hickory Forge. The Hickory Forge sample does look identical to the Virginia Vintage sample, but the Hickory Forge product is 3/8" rather than 1/2" (both are 5 ply, and have a good size wear layer). We will be floating this over wood subfloor that is in very good shape, and plan to use a high quality, sound suppressing underlayment. The house is in Northwestern Pennsylvania, and is not air conditioned, so there are a few weeks of high humidity in the house in summertime, and like most homes in the north, it is dry in the winter-time.
I really like the Hickory Forge flooring, but am concerned about the 3/8" thickness not feeling "solid", and being less suitable for a house without air conditioning. Anderson makes some 1/2" floors, but none with the same look as the Hickory Forge. If anyone is familiar with the Anderson 3/8" products, especially as they compare with the Anderson 1/2" products, I'd reaaly appreciate hearing your comments. I'd also like recommendations on which high quality underlayment to use. Thanks in advance!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 3/8" Engineered Wood Flooring
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:16 am 
Prized Contributor

Are you sure I this 5 ply? I have seen and just installed.some of the last vintage, plus I have seen Anderson make a 3 ply 3/8 which IMO is a better product since I this a balanced engineered.
I have a Bruce 3ply that's 26 years old and is still performing great. Look.for a balanced construction.
My favorite underlay is SoundSolutions.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 3/8" Engineered Wood Flooring
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:12 am 
New User

floormeintucson, you know your product. I thought that I had read that the Hickory Forge was a 5 ply product, but I just looked at the sample and it is 3 ply plus the wear layer. Sounds like you would recommend this floor, thanks for the reply!

Profile E-mail