Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Entry door gap/transition/treshold
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:20 am 
New User

Hello folks,
Thanks for a great forum! I've searched the current posts but could not fing an answer to this particular question...

My friend (here in northern Arizona) is installing a new hardwood floor (3/4" by 2-1/2" by random lengths - rosewood, prefinished) over 3/4" OCX subflooring. He is planning on leaving the standard gap of 3/4" next to the walls (but perhaps is considering only 1/2"). The flooring area will be approx. 24'x30' in the living room / dining area and then down a hallway.

He is already planning on using transitional "T" mouldings between bedrooms and the hallway to allow for expansion and transition (he chose to use different flooring products in the bedrooms).

I'm probably already rambling-on with more information than you care to know, but the question he has is how to deal with the entry door threshold and the requsitite "wall" gap (he is running parallel lengths to the threshold).

The existing entry-threshold is wood and is 7/8" or 1" high as compared to the 3/4 hardwood flooring. I suppose there are several options for the entry... 1) Butt the sides of the hardwood flooring directly to the existing threshold, 2) Figure some way to "bridge" the existing threshold and new hardwood floor gap (that's a brain teaser... considering the door opens inward), 3) Rip out the existing threshold and custom cut a new one that would provide the "nose" over the hardwood flooring, 4) Rip out the existing threshold and run the hardwood flooring completely out as a new threshold under the door jams and adjust the door sweeps/seal.

What would be the installer's appoach to entry door threshold interfacing?
Thanks for your ideas...
Curt

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:42 am 
New User

Curt,

Have you ever received any responses to your request?

I have a similar situation, but in mine the planks are running perpendicular to (aluminum) door and slider thresholds, and the aluminum will rise above the top surface of the wood floor.

I'm in Florida, so expansion & contraction is probably not as much of an issue, especially since I'm using an engineered product. I'm considering using what they call a baby theshold, which is basically a T-molding with one arm of the T removed (upside down L).

Any info you can forward me would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:05 pm 
Valued Contributor

I usually just take a piece of material and make a flat mold. Just rip the piece to the desired width,(I do an inch),angle your blade to bevel the top a little and then just set your fence at 1/4 in and send it through. Voila-flat mould.

You will need to wipe some stain (or maybe just urethane) on the little bevel.

It only takes a second to make one. I often have to put them across prefabs due to heighth issues..