Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3 estimates...3 different finishes...need advice
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:03 pm 
Newbie Contributor

We're getting estimates for our home. Its about 800sq ft of oak flooring. So far I've spoken to 3 different companies that all seem to know what they're doing. Here's the break down:
Company A-wouldn't tell me the brand but claims the water based poly is about $100gal, they water pop (whatever that is) and have had their work in magazines. They claim I need to remove my 1/4 round molding.

Company B-would prefer to use a oil based poly that they claim is about $225 5/gal. They claim its used on gym flooring and therefore is very durable. They claim that I don't need to remove my 1/4 round. Too much time and expense because I'm bound to break them while removing.

Company C-only uses Glitsa alcohol based finish. He says its the most durable. He claims 1/2 his customers remove the molding and 1/2 don't. He says that since its white trim, not a big deal. The equipment will leave a very small line on the 1/4 round but paint will easily fill it.

I've learned alot so far from this site. its great! Looks like gym flooring poly is not necessarily durable, but cheap since gyms re-coat often. Traffic sounds like great stuff. Glitsa I have not seen much on this site, but other sites swear by it. I'm concerned that since this stuff is so nasty, I won't be able to touch up areas myself in the future. Can you guys comment on what you think is best?

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 3 estimates...3 different finishes...need advice
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:19 pm 
Worthy Contributor

We always use water-based poly it is very durable and also less offensive as far as vapors and smell go. There are many good finishes on the market we use only basic coatings street shoe over basic sealers. We have found that it holds up far better than anything else we have used. We have never used Glitsa because toxic nature and precautions needed. As far as the quarter round goes if you take it off you will have to touch it up and if you leave it on you may have to touch it up. We leave it up. Oil finishes take longer to dry and increase the length of the project. I am sure you will get many differen t view points here, as always get some references and look at their work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:52 am 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Being new to this (and having 3 boys under 7) I was hoping to get the longest lasting, most durable protective coating as possible. I like what I've read about Glitsa, but it is very toxic and I'm not convinced "gases" wont continue to emit AFTER my family has come back home. I also don't like the fact that I can't screen or repair the floor myself in the future (I'm not touching the stuff). I don't have a preference between water vs oil, just want the most durable finish.

I would prefer to leave the quarter round on...saves a ton of time and prep work(for me). However, I wasn't sure if I would be able to notice inconsitent stain or finish along the seam where the molding meets the floor. I don't mind taping the floor off and touching up the molding after the job IF that is the only drawback to leaving it in place. I don't want it to be visually noticable that I "cut corners" and left my quarter round on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:34 am 
Worthy Contributor

You should not be able to notice anything were to trim meets the floor. Check out the Basic Coatings website. Good plan on not touching the Glitsa, I understand you need to be really careful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:38 am 
Prized Contributor

Remove the 1/4 round and replace it if necessary. It about 30 cents a lineal foot, you probably need less than 200 ft.
I have never seen a nicely finished floor that was done by leaving the trim in place, except in cases of older historic homes that had trim installed that was no longer available, and the people footing the bill were prepared to pay a huge extra cost to hand scrape and sand the perimeter areas.
As soon as the edger hits that 1/4 round, there is going to be a groove cut into it that paint alone wont hide.
For finishes, you are correct that Gym finishes really arent as durable as the connotation suggests, since they are generally recoated annually. The are designed more for proper slip resistance that longevity.
My personal recommendation for residential applications is two coats of Emulsion (for beauty) and two coats of Streetshoe for durability. Both are "BASIC" products.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:51 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to call each company tomorrow and discuss the products they are using and mention Traffic and Basic products. Hopefully they have experience and are willing to use it.

Profile E-mail