Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ever encounter an uncoatable floor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:57 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Just as the tile says have you ever been on a job that dispite your best efforts still comes out crappy (flashing, striking). I have a floor like this is 3 1/4 fir. Everytime I coat it it comes out crappy, Last time their were big cloudy spots in the finish. The job get buffed, vaced, tacked and tacked and tacked. It must have 6 coats on. Does anyone know of any reason why this is happening, We coated other rooms in the house(3) but this one room ALWAYS comes out bad, It's not ontop of a crawl space. Which this last time I figured might be the reason. We are useing Lenmar finish (oil) with a lambs wool applicator. Same as on every other job.
I can't remember the last time I had a call back or a recoat. Today alone we coated about 2200 sq' ( 3 job)with the job in question being about 270 sq', Tomorrow We will check on it but I already know.
Any advice.
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:02 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
(flashing, striking).

I'm not familiar with these terms. But you will need to carefully investigate why this room is different from the others. There must be something about it that causes the finish to look crappy. Give us more details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:37 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Ok, how about lap marks from the applicator, I know they say it's from uneven finish, but I don't think so. It's been coated in the humid summer, freezing winter and today mid 40's, No crawl space under floor. I just don't know. Different lots of finish, Even different applicators, All lambwool though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:31 pm 

Perhaps there is something going on that would cause the finish to dry too quickly and not flow out such as air movement across the floor, solar gain from windows, furnace ducts blowing toward floors, etc. I don't think it is an issue of what is under the floor but could be contaminates in the existing coats or wood. I'm just guessing here. If the job looks good everywhere else but here, it is a real mystery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:06 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

listen ex, Ive heard of this before...In fact Its happened to me. And though Gary may not admit it, he too knows the problem.
You see, there are forces in this world that cannot be defined by the squinting eyes of even the most talented wood floor man.
The deforming of your perfect sheen four plows away. Like a virus breaking down the very compound of the spread itself. Right In front of your eyes, Just beyond your reach. Or craters dimpling your mirror iceing so delicately balanced upon your hours of wood work. Even the lap mark that seems to stand without gravilty between two perfectly unaffected sections of floating glaze.
Like the pushup that would not push up your chin moves from side to side as you harness all of your wishes to smooth it what lies in front of you.

It is the Floor Demon, AKA #$%#. Use a Glitsa or Bona product. Tack with water or laquer thinner. crack a window, and insure that you have an appropriate humidy, temp and ventilation. Thats is the only way to exorcise your demon. And tell him Jamal from Oregon said @#$!.

Best of luck, and I would change finishes. That oil is pretty old school...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:28 pm 

Yes, that's it! The floor is possessed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:28 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

We established the floor or house was possessed some time ago, I checked on it today, The lap marks were gone but you could still see the streeking. I tack with paint thinner, or mineral spirits, As the finish, I can't get bona in gallons because of the v.o.c, I can get it in quarts but I found it's more of a hassel to mix up 12 quarts of finish, I'm not ready to go water base yet.
Glista??? I use Glista (wood flour cement) for wood filler, Mix it with a bit of edger dust and it makes a killer filller. I hope the stuff your talking about is different. I'm going to check with hoboken to see what's out their.
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:20 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Theres no way the streaks were caused by a indented piece of hundred on your last pass with the belt sander is there, you know the streaks that seem to buff out with 120 only to reappear when wet?
Yeah, the Glitsa Gold Seal is a oily sheen without all the hippy hooraw, you can actually where socks when you apply it :o
Though, if you cant get bona in the gallon, I doubt you can get this "stinky stuff" as my boy calls it!

Profile E-mail