Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ever hear of Glitz?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:52 pm 
New User

We moved into our 1950's home five years ago and had the carpeting removed and the original oak floors refinished in natural. Our livingroom is a high-traffic area and there are already many noticible scratches in the flooring. We would like to refinish the floors again using a darker stain.

Recently, someone told my husband about a refinishing product/process called Glitz. He said that it carries a 25 year warranty and that his floors turned out beautifully. Has anyone ever heard of this process? If so, what can you tell me about it?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Do you mean . . .
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:00 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Are you maybe referring to Glitsa? And you're probably talking about the Swedish finish.
And, I'm guessing that you live in the North West U.S., correct? I ask that because the Swedish finishes are mainly used in that part of the country. It's kinda' a tradition that people just won't give up for a better product. It's a good finish, if you don't mind all the chemicals, the smells, etc. It's nasty stuff.
There's a better way. 2-component water-borne finishes. It's hard to believe that a water-based ANYTHING can be more durable than a acid cure or moisture cure finish, but it's true.
Any one else concur with what I say?

Just my opinion.
Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Thank you!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:11 pm 
New User

Thank you so much for answering my post. Actually, I live in Michigan so you got the north part right. Yes, I'm sure that Glitsa is what he was talking about because he mentioned that it was a Swedish finish. I definitely don't want to use strong chemicals in my home because I have a son with asthma. As it is, we'll probably have to move him out of the house for a day or two while the floors are being redone.

Thanks again for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:08 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Glitsa is an acid cured urethane and is some nasty smelling stuff. Highly toxic and very flamable. Two weeks to cure and it does not have a 25 year warranty. It does look good IF it is applied by a finisher experienced in using it. I haven'y used an acid cured urethane in 15 years. Today, there are much better waterborne urethanes. My favorite is Bona Traffic. Expensive but very durable, non-toxic, dries and cures quickly. Looks good as well. I know Charlie has his favorites as well. I had a meeting last year with two reps from Park's (finish manufacturer) who told me Park's had done independent testing of all the major flooring finishes sold today and Traffic came out on top in durability. Soon, they will have floor finishes utilizing nano technology (there already maybe one out now) that will even be tougher. Personally, wouldn't use Glitsa in my house.