Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: expanding my craftsmanship
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:21 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hi All, I have been a flooring contractor for 30 years here in So. Cal. I'm one of those that takes pride in my work, I'm very particular and survives by word of mouth. Like most I started with carpet in the 80's, landed a major hotel chain in the 90's but in the mid 90's expanded to vinyls - corks - woods and laminates. I installed a lot of wood, vinyl plank and high end carpet (Kane, Masland, Stanton etc...) in the past 25 years. Last year I had a hip replaced due to a water sport accident (flooring didn't help any) and my surgeon advised against anymore carpet install. "Good!" I said "That $**+ doesn't pay anyway". Sooooo I did what any knowledgeable professional would do and focused on the areas do make money. I did a job late last year where a 1000sf was pre-finished, 3-1/4 x 3/4 RL red oak and the rest of the house was sand and finish. Due to prep, acclimation, moisture tests and labor, I was there for 2 weeks... my buddy that I sub my sand-in-place was there for 5 days and made almost as much as I did. So I booked a flight to Denver, attended the Bona sand and finish school and dished out $15,000 for new re-finishing equipment and supplies. New Bona belt 8", Power drive buffer/sander and an edge XL. Plus all the hand tools and back-pac vac I could get. I even went the extra distance and bought the Tampico brush for the power drive.
If you could look back and give yourself advice when you were starting out, what would you say? I'd love to hear it. I'd also like to know from all of you your sanding schedule... 50,80,100, 120 etc...
I must say my first job has me a little anxious, 3000sf Honduran Mahogany with pillows and French bleed but I have enough experience, intelligence and confidence to knock this out of the park.
Hit me up and give me your 2 cents. Thanks ahead of time

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: expanding my craftsmanship
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:56 pm 
Prized Contributor

I hear that if you have a sign that says "Dust Free Sanding" on your van you will get a lot of people asking. The German sanding process meets the requirements to get approval from some clean air regulations, there. Bona is probably as good.
You can say dust free, any dust not collected in the special dust control equipment is "free".
If anyone can say their equipment is "dust free", then you can, too. As I see it, no system is "dust free", but people want to believe it.
Just remind them that any dust they find will be free!
Better dust the walls, any flat surfaces, get the cobwebs from the ceiling, clean the fan blades and any wood trim that dust can settle on and sweep and vacuum the porch when you leave and you will be good.
Don't forget to charge for it!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: expanding my craftsmanship
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:53 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Ok thanks, I opted out of the DCS from Bona but I do (and will) use my Pulsebac 1150 when it come to a dust free environment. I don't want to be breathing it any more than the customer wants it all over their house. I also have the Bosch self cleaning unit that I use for my table saw and 12" compound but I can literally vacuum asbestos, lead and crystalline silica without introducing it back in the environment with the Pulsebac... good vacuum just heavier than a belt sander.

Profile E-mail