Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Expansion gaps
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:16 pm 
New User

I am starting a new install, room is 17x13, main floor over plywood. dry living space underneath. 3/4 inch red oak. 3 sides are walls, 4th side is against tile. Customer doesn't want a large expansion gap or raised "Tee" molding at the tile side . Does anyone have experience with expansion gaps on 3 sides only? I understand that most expansion is in the direction of the tongues which I can do away from the tile. Thanks. John

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Expansion gaps
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:30 pm 
Valued Contributor

Doggo wrote:
I am starting a new install, room is 17x13, main floor over plywood. dry living space underneath. 3/4 inch red oak. 3 sides are walls, 4th side is against tile. Customer doesn't want a large expansion gap or raised "Tee" molding at the tile side . Does anyone have experience with expansion gaps on 3 sides only? I understand that most expansion is in the direction of the tongues which I can do away from the tile. Thanks. John

Expansion gaps are generally recommended along the parallel edges of the floor boards as the hardwood will expand in width....minimally to none lengthwise. Expansion is more toward the tongue due to the position of the cleats/staples. Are the tile and hardwood flooring surfaces at the same height?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:26 pm 
New User

Tile and wood are the same finished height. Also, unfortunately, the flooring will need to run parallel to the tile to align with an adjacent room. John

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:02 pm 
Prized Contributor

If you are laying flooring next to tile I recommend leaving half the distance of the grout width as a gap which can be filled with foam backer rod then topped off with sanded caulking that matches the grout color.
It would also be good to use a glue that would resist movement to use when starting the floor against the tile and working away.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:35 am 
New User

Great idea! Thx.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:11 pm 
New User

Hi there
Fisrt thing you need to tell the clients what is best for them , not the other way around

What type of flooring is ? Solid ? Eng ? , what cut ? Sel bet or rift qt ?
Whats the RH in the house , whats the MC in the subfloor and wood , how wide is the wood ? Having all these answers you can find an easier solution for your challenge

Expansion gaps are require for a reason , but depending on your particular case you could do what the other person advice you , you can cut the edge in angle matching the thickness of the grouded area and fill it with a flexible grout

Profile E-mail