Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Export floor finish" versus Bona Traffic
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:13 pm 
New User

My contractor has proposed "Export" Finish. Anyone heard of this? All I see on the Board is talk about Bona Traffic? This will be over Brazilian Cherry.

thanks--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:02 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Never heard of it! They got a web site?

Post subject: Export, found out what it is, also 2 or 3 finish coats
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:06 pm 
New User

Hi Gary,

Export is from VeriMeister, and a local well known contractor in Pleasanton says they feel very strongly about it and prefer it to Traffic.
The website for the product is:
http://www.vermeisterusa.com/finishes.shtml

They are open to using either product, but feel Export provides a better finish and is suitable to high traffic, dogs, etc.

We are likely to get a sealer next which will either be oil, or possibly water based, and then the finish coats. Is it customary to put on two or three finish coats?

Thanks,
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:16 am 
Worthy Contributor

They sent me a free gallon once. I used it on my own floor to test it. It has held up remarkably well. I would use it if my local supplier carried it is comparable to Traffic from my experience with it. They used to send out a free sample to installers to try, I don’t know if they do anymore.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:26 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

OK, I'm aware of Vermeister. Good company but I didn't know the names of their individual finishes. I have not used it but heard many good reports on Bill Price's Shop Talk Floormasters forum. It doesn't have a large prescence here in N. CA. in the distributors that I'm aware of. I think one needs to order it. If it was stocked locally, I'm sure I would give it a try.
As far as how many coats, it really depends on the product and the application method. Some floor finishes have higher solids content than other. And some woods suck the finish up where others, such as your brazilian cherry, the finish builds faster as there is less penetration. I typically will apply three coats. That's fairly standard. If a sealer is used that is film forming and not penetrating, that could be considered a coat. And it depends on how you want the floors to look. With more finish on the surface, the finish usually lasts a little longer because there is more to wear through. It doesn't make it scratch or scuff less though. But it will have a thicker, more heavily coated look that a few people object to who prefer a more natural appearance.