Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re-fastening floor to joist (no subfloor)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:27 am 
New User

I have pine floors on my 3rd floor. I'm pretty sure i have no subfloor - just floors on joists. The floor has gotten squeaky and a little bouncy in spots over time as the 1930s house has settled/sagged. I plan to put a pad and rug in this room (just ripped up old carpet). But first i want to deal with the squeaks mostly. I want to re-fasten these boards down to the joists.

I need advice on method and what nails or screws to use. A specific link to buy them would help since i'm an amateur. I dont want to rip anything up. I want to refasten existing floors, especially b/c im putting rug on top.

As of now I'm thinking of face-nailing with pilot holes b/c i dont want to split the floors, but not sure what nails to use. Is it better to use some kind of screws directly into joists?

I want to re-fasten floor to joists and not split wood. I'm also worried that face-nails will just loosen back up b/c house has settled a certain way, and maybe screws would be better, but worries about splitting wood. So what would really help me is:

1) what nail or screw should i use and where to buy
2) method of nailing or screwing (pilot holes?)
3) can I use a studfinder to find joists in this case? I'm bad at finding joists.

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Re-fastening floor to joist (no subfloor)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:04 am 
Valued Contributor

I'd use trim head screws. Lumber yard or good hardware store will have these. Get a countersink sized for your screws which will create the pilot hole and countersink. You can fill the holes with plugs or filler. Were the floors originally faced nailed? If so, those should indicate the joists. If not, then a good stud finder may help you locate the joists. If the floors are bouncy the places that don't bounce may be a good indication of joist support.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:05 pm 
New User

Can anyone post a link to the kind of screw you're talking about. What size - both diameter and length. THanks so much.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:48 am 
Prized Contributor

You can buy trim head screws in a hardware store or Home Depot. Purchase screws that have a shank that does not have threads all the way to the top of the screw, so the screw can pull the flooring to the joist as it tightens. I looks like this may work: GRK Fasteners #8 x 2 in. Composite Trim Head Screw (100-Per Pack)
Model# 119077
I think that they are made in 6 gauge, also which has a smaller shank, but should work as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:20 am 
Valued Contributor

One other thing that may help locate the joists are rare earth magnets which may locate the nails that were used to nail the floor to the joists.

Profile E-mail