Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Feedback on hardwood Click Floors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:08 am 
New User

Curious what installers think of the engineered hardwood glueless floors? Also, have you installed any wood glueless floors?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Been while since I did any installs but I'll try to help. I think it was an Award click the last one I had. They don't really click like many advertise. It actually took some persuasion to get it together, but then maybe I wasn't following directions properly. :oops:

I haven't had the pleasure of a lock and fold floor, but they look so darned easy a child could do it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:08 am 
New User

Ken, I have several planks of the Mannington glueless hardwood and I have played with it some. They seem pretty easy to click together as long as the subfloor is really level. Some flooring people have said this is the future of engineered wood floors, but I am not convinced yet.

IMO, stapling an engineered wood floor is not too difficult to do either and staple down floors are still less costly than the glueless engineered hardwood floor versions.

I am getting consumers on FloorFacts.com asking about which is better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:34 am 
Site Admin

Maybe I'm too used to glueing engineered floors because I found stapling is tough on the body. Everybody is different and once you get used to a routine I guess it gets easier.

Case in point. When Jeff sent me a Senco floor stapler years ago I only used it once. Always being on the knees all the time was tough and I did manage to miss a few trigger pulls as the staple became top nailed. On the other hand with gluedowns I spend most of my time dropping the board into the adhesive then pushing it into place with my feet. Something I saw Mickey Moore says is a no-no. What works for one may not work for another.

"pop and slide" Moore calls it

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:14 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

should be "plop and slide". :lol: In the days of old, when we used the Franklin 911 adhesive, you could loosely rack the glued down flooring, then push it tight with your feet. Lot's of production installers did it that way. With the advent of urethanes and their "memory", much harder to do. In many ways, the older ways were better. With urethanes today, one needs to carefully engage the tongue into the groove before dropping the board into the adhesive. This is a SLOW process when installing strip flooring. Plus, you're constantly cleaning your fingers from the adhesive. The 911 would flash off in a hour and there wasn't any transfer to your hands when you touched it. Open time was about the same as urethanes but you did need to thoroughly roll the floors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:40 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Installed a click type engineered for a customer last month. It was from Home Depot. Home Legend was the brand...... I think. It was actually really easy to work with, and turned out pretty nice.