Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Feline malfunction/ refinishing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:50 pm 
New User

Can anyone offer thoughts or advice concerning the refinishing of my harwood floors where a furry feline repeatedly has had urine output malfunctions?

Several spots have been treated with an enzyme odor reducer...which actually works pretty well, but I have been left with black discoloration in the wood.

I am refinishing this spring.

Will a water based coating offer enough help to protect/withstand future problems?

And also, will the sanding and coating hide/remove any residual odor?

Thanks so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:57 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Unfortunately, cat urine really damages wood floors. The smell penetrates and the discoloration goes deep. Most often, I have found that replacing the urine stained boards was the only acceptable solution. Go ahead and try sanding the stain out but be propared to have to replace the urine soaked boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:07 pm 
New User

Gary wrote:
Unfortunately, cat urine really damages wood floors. The smell penetrates and the discoloration goes deep. Most often, I have found that replacing the urine stained boards was the only acceptable solution. Go ahead and try sanding the stain out but be propared to have to replace the urine soaked boards.

Thank you for the information, Gary.

Is it reasonable to assume that most wood floor refinishers are also familiar with replacing damaged boards?

Is replacing boards problematic/expensive?

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:48 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

I would think that any hardwood floor man that has any degree of experience would know how to replace a board or two, or more. It is commonly done. As to the cost, it depends on how many boards, what type of flooring it is, nailed down or glued, etc. Board replacement difficulty can vary from quite easy to extremely hard. Many variables here. Where I work (Ca.), I charge anywhere from $75.00 (to replace one or two nailed down oak boards) to $500.00 or more for a glued down engineered floor with a dozen or more boards to replace. Labor costs vary around the country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:07 pm 
New User

Gary wrote:
I would think that any hardwood floor man that has any degree of experience would know how to replace a board or two, or more. It is commonly done. As to the cost, it depends on how many boards, what type of flooring it is, nailed down or glued, etc. Board replacement difficulty can vary from quite easy to extremely hard. Many variables here. Where I work (Ca.), I charge anywhere from $75.00 (to replace one or two nailed down oak boards) to $500.00 or more for a glued down engineered floor with a dozen or more boards to replace. Labor costs vary around the country.

I appreciate it! Thanks, Gary.