Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fibers in final coat
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:05 pm 
New User

The day after the final polyurethane coat (oil-based) was applied we noticed tiny hairlike fibers throughout the entire finish. I contacted the company and
they sent out a different crew to check the work. The men said that whoever did the job probably used an older or dirty cloth to apply the finish. They
buffed the floor and put on another coat of polyurethane. The next day I still saw fibers (not as many) and scar marks where fibers had been buffed out.

The company owner came out and basically said that this is as good as it gets and the bumps will compress down and be less noticeable as time goes by.
We had the floors done 10 years ago and had a smooth, beautiful finish. The
company owner, who had done the floor 10 years ago, said the products have changed due to environmental regulations and that you can't get as
smooth of a finish. I find this hard to believe as I have yet to notice fibers in
any other home with hardwood floors. Has anyone ever heard about this? :cry: :roll: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:40 pm 
Prized Contributor

It is true the [poroducts of yesterday are history, with the VOC laws in effect today.

BUT... That is no excuse for the sloppy work that it takes to achieve, bubbles in the finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:44 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Do you know what kind of applicator was used. Some synthetic pads will leave some 1/4" fibers after being used a couple of times. Usually a lambswool appicator would leave longer fibers. If they are VERY noticable they probably used lambswool. If you can't see them from a standing position in normal light it does meet industry standards, I assume your not down on your hands and knees looking for them. I usually don't have trouble with fibers as much as hair from animals or small chunks that come out of cracks in the floor or from airborne particles settling in the finish.

Profile E-mail