Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: final cut with buffer questions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:59 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I have been refinishing for 11 years and everyone around here uses 120grit screens for theyre final cut on the buffer. I have recently taken a liking to 3M's easy change 120grit gold sand paper on the buffer. It flattens edger digs, can help hide chatter, cuts out 80grit edger marks, doesnt dish out grain like screens do and creats a great uniform color without water popping.
The problem im having is it seems to burnish the hard grain to the point that dark walnut looks like provencial.
So i have considered trying 3M's black 100grit easychange disk. Im afraid of it leaving swirl marks so i have been waiting to try it on a natural or golden oak floor.
Any suggestions on a similar product i should try? Maybe something more cost effective since these only last half as long as a screen.

thanks,
Ronnie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: final cut with buffer questions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:22 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

What type of pad backer do you use? I used to use a 1" white pad with a screen, but I noticed it gave more of a textured look to the grain. I switched to using a 1/4" very fine maroon pad from Norton, and this gave a flatter and more uniform appearance.
Additionally, I recently began using Bona's multi-disc with 100 grit. I then use 100 or 120 grit screen for a final buff prior to staining.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:12 pm 
Valued Contributor

I haven't found screens to dish out open grain but rather the opposite.I sand my floors to 100 grit most of the time and then buff with a 120 grit screen. I can typically get one screen to last about 700 square feet or so by flipping it around 350 square feet.

The reason why the 3M easy change discs don't last as long is because htey create more friction and heat than screen do.

One other option is to use the Bona multi disc, which uses common 6 inch hook and loop sand paper .I use 3M regalite discs on mine. For natural floors, you can load a multi disc with 3M 100 grit papers and probably do 700 feet or so. Depends on the floor. Lots of guys claim they use 80- grit papers but those are too rough in my opinion . For stain jobs , I multi disc and then change to a 120 screen .

I have tried the quick change sanding discs and wouldn't rely on those to finish off a floor without leaving substantial swirl patterns.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:14 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hey guys,
I use a 1/4 inch white pad between my driver and disk.
upon looking for the bona multi disc i came across the ceno satellite. Im in favor of tryimg it since i am a fan of theyre vacuums.
But today my distributor finally got in norton double sided 100 grit discs and i just so happened to be starting on 600ft of red oak going golden oak. So i tried it and it definetely works harder/lasts longer than the 120 grit discs and leaves the same scratch pattern. So im wondering why spend the money on a satellite if i can get what i want out of the 100gritdiscs?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:29 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Millerhardwood; I've had excellent performance using a UFO from US Sander in New York. This machine enables You to use a screen a few grits coarser, but still achieve satisfactory results.
This is a true random orbit sander. While spinning at 175 rpm, it has a 1/4" random orbit action. With this you can screen as coarse as 60 grit & it looks like 100gr.
http://youtu.be/JSAsLuACSk4
See for yourself.
Dan @ Pro Comfort

Profile E-mail