Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: finish for dance floor
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:08 pm 
New User

I am a set designer for a non-profit youth theater group. They are moving to a new studio and, to cut costs, are creating their own dance floor. One by two boards were laid out on concrete with 3/4" plywood on top. Over that they are putting 1/4" hardboard. The hardboard is almost halfway done. The hardboard was not glued down and has buckled in a few places.
I have 3 questions:
1) Should the hardboard be glued down to the plywood to keep it from warping and buckling
2) We need to fill in cracks and over the screws. What is the best product to use in the cracks that will have some give to it. Kids will be jumping and dancing on this floor
3) I am trying to find the best combination of finishes. What is durable, doesn't show scuff marks too badly and will be flexible with the movement of the floor.
Thanks
Connie

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: finish for dance floor
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:36 pm 
Prized Contributor

How did yo protect the wood from vapor emissions coming out of the concrete? If you did nothing then you need to pull it up and start over. Plus you do not need the hardboard.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and see how I did a floating solid prefinished. You can do a site finished floor just like it. Not sure about the finish. The finish needs to be a tad slippery for a dance floor I would think. http://www.flickr.com/photos/13772863@N08/page3/

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail