Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: FINISH WARRANTIES
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:06 pm 
New User

Should I be concerned about yrs in finish warranty. Deciding to go with a cheaper brand that offers 15 vs 25 yr warranty. Under normal conditions, how often do people have there clear coats buffed and refinished. not stained, voiding warranty anyway.

Basically is it worth the extra money for the longer warranty? What should I be concerned more about when shopping for the floor? thanks

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:06 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Warranties are pretty worthless. Most require the finish to be completely worn off in at least 10% of the floor area. And they exclude wear from furniture, dirt, sand, pets, commercial, etc. I wouldn't make a purchase decision primarily on the warranty. Stick with a quality brand floor. I'm a little weary of the finished floors made in China. Some look very good and some have had issues. Quality control seems iffy. Choose a brand from a reputable company that stands behind their product. All floors will begin to show signs of wear in time. How much depends on lifestyle. I put in a longstrip floor for a customer who's family removes their shoes before coming in the house. And she keeps her home immaculate. Those floors still look brand new ten years later. Another family I did an Award floor for ( and Award has a tough finish ) are not nearly as neat. They have underage sons and a large dog and both parents work. There is no time for cleaning so the house is pretty messy and somewhat untidy. Those floors are getting more banged up ( scratched and dented ) but the finish is still there protecting the wood after five years. I liken wood floors to autos. If you baby them, keep them clean and avoid accidents, they'll stay looking new for years.