Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Finish worn thru (w/pics). Warranty issue?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:47 am 
New User

Hello All,
I'm dealing with what I think is a warranty issue but want some objective input before I pursue it further.
It's a Bruce Springdale Plank installed on a new construction townhome and the poly has worn through in very intricate patterns that follow the wood grain shapes. The affected planks are randomly placed but account for maybe 20% of the entire floor.

It began only about a year after install and almost three years later has obviously gotten much worse.

After inspecting it a while ago, the Bruce rep sent me a letter via the installer (actually a fax three months after his visit.....and only after I called.....but that's beside the point.....sort of) quoting the warranty guide stating
"...scratches or indentations due to sand, pebbles or other abrasives, pets, insects...is not covered by the Bruce finish warranty."
And that was that. No reasoning or evidence connecting these causes to my floor, and no advice on how to repair it.

So I think I'm being blown off. Given it's age, the fact it's well cleaned/cared for and is subject to nothing more than normal foot traffic (we even take our shoes off at the door!), I don't see how these precise wear patterns can possibly be attributed to simply "sand, pebbles & pets".

So have a look and tell me what you think.
(A) - If I'm out of line in thinking they are dodging me and that this could legitimately be outside their 15 yr warranty coverage, what suggestions do you have for repairing this before it takes over my entire floor?
(B) - If I'm correct in saying that these formations are no fault of my own, where should I go next? Better Business Bureau? State Consumer Protection Office?

Thanks for your time.
(the last picture doesn't quite show the detail but the precise pattern)

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:37 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Was there ever a dog living in this home?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:19 pm 
New User

Yes, we have a dog.
Though they do include a vague and all inclusive "pets" among the things not covered under warranty, I can't imagine how these designs came as a result of a dog walking on it. It's not like she lays on the floor and etches these patterns like an artist.

But hey, what do I know? That's why I'm reaching out to you pros.

Besides, the way that warranty is worded it seems they open themselves to being able to assign blame on just about any other normal every day use as a reason to deny warranty service.

"...sand, pebbles,....pets, insects..." So if there's dirt or sand outside my house, the warranty is voided? Insects live in North Carolina? Sorry, Sir, but that voids the warranty.

I'm being facetious not sarcastic, believe me. But I'm sure you can see my frustration at the umbrella they seem to have protected themselves with.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:04 pm 

IMO, the worn areas are due to your dog. I have seen this many times before on inexpensive veneered, rotary cut , engineered oak floors. Those worn areas are the "growth rings" in an oak tree. They are much softer than other areas and in rotary veneers, wear much faster. Dog's nails seem to wear out these areas much quicker. I have seen this before, as I said, and it's always in homes with dogs.

You're correct that the warranties on wood floors are full of exclusions to protect the manufacturer. Basically, the warranties do NOT cover wear but are typically designed just for manufacturing defects. Wear is not a defect. As to "what to do", I just looked up the specs for the Springdale Plank. It's a "budget" 3/8" engineered with a 1.6 mm ( approx 1/16" ) wear layer/veneer. That is pretty thin for a sand and refinish. The right guy MAY be able to pull it off. I have resanded that type of floor before but the chance of burning through the veneer in places is good. Find the best floor refinisher in your area and ask for a opinion on what to do and if he/she thinks the floors can be refinished. If it can be done, it's less than a full replacement; way less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:03 pm 
New User

Hey Gary, thanks for your input.
I'll back off my attack and put the house up for sale before it gets any worse.

..........anybody want a well trained Lab/Rottweiler mix? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:27 pm 
Newbie Contributor

To bad it is not as easy as a George Bush/Foreign Policy Forum with Yikes I have Problems and Gary and Foorguy can be as foolproof wiith thier answers as they are on Kens gracious forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pray for peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

It may be easier to Re-Finish than move.

Contact either NOFMA or NWFA for referrals.
www.nofma.org
www.woodfloors.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:20 pm 

Ray, Again with the poor recommendation. What you are failing to see in the photos is that the wood is actually removed a little in the worn areas. While this can be repaired, it is not that "simple" but a multi phased approach. Your suggestion of a "simple screen and recoat" would NOT restore this floor adequately. There's more to it than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:53 pm 
Valued Contributor

Screen or sanding to re-finish is easier than selling and moving.

Obtaining bids to re-finish is wise.
Much cheaper than moving... is the point.

Wood is wood that can be restored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:24 am 

Point taken that you were simply suggesting repairing the floors, as was I. My point is that recoating does not necessarily adequately repair some worn floors and that refinishing or more repairs other than simply recoating are sometimes required, as it would be in this case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:22 pm 
New User

Thanks, Guys.
But I was going to sell it anyway. Building my own house...........I don't think I'll be using that floor in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:22 pm 

In this market, it may be a good idea to have the floors repaired. Talk to your realtor about the cost vs. the benefit. If your home sells faster and for more, it could be worth repairing the floors. Or offering a repair credit to the buyer.