Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Finishing Reclaimed Douglas Fir
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:06 pm 
New User

Hello,

I am a newbie and am hoping somebody here can help guide me in the right direction.

We are installing about 600 square feet of reclaimed douglas fir that has been milled to 3/4 inch tongue and groove flooring. The gentleman who milled it for us did some skip planning as per our request because we want a worn and distressed look. He advised us to use bondo with black chalk in it rather than a colored wood fill to add contrast. I am just checking here to see if anybody here has used this technique or knows of any issues it may cause us?

I am also looking for advice on sanding this flooring. How should we properly prep the flooring for a relatively smooth finish (with some texture of course) but so that we don't lose the effects of the skip planning?

And finally, we have two large dogs and we will always have large dogs cuz we're just a little crazy that way ;) Any words of advice in terms of a good finish that can hold up decently to our family traffic? So far we have looked into Bona Mega and Osmo Polyx Oil but can't quite make up our minds. But we'd happily listen to a voice of experience that doesn't stand to gain money from the sale!

Thanks in advance to anybody kind enough to share your knowledge and experience with me :)

Brenda

Profile E-mail