Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: finishing rosewood & hairs embedded in water-base varath
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:32 pm 
New User

Hi, I've read about Waterlox from forums and Waterlox.com. I still haven't come to a conclusion which would be better Tung oil or oil based varathane. I need durability (have a dog and plan to put rosewood in the kitchen and entry hall), ease of application and more importantly fast drying times. The Rosewood is rustic - lots of knots and variation in grain so scratches and dents that may occur are ok but the finish has to withstand cleaning and moisture.

2nd question - I've used water-based varathane on maple (second floor) because I didn't want discoloration but there are tiny little hairs stuck in the finish. Should I just live with it or is there an almost foolproof technique to remove them without disturbing the finish too much.

Thank you in advance for responding (this is great site - I've learned a lot reading posts from the message board). I'd really appreciate any feedback!

Bilechuk :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:10 am 
Valued Contributor

no matter how durable the finish, dogs will leave scratches. The scratches will be most evident in reflective light. Please don't oversell yourself into believing the finishes are dog nails proof.