Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fire/smoke damage to home
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:11 am 
New User

Any professional opinions would be really appreciated. I will try to keep this short.

Hardwood floor contractor came out to refinish floors, about 1300 Sqft. They did it in a couple afternoons and when I walked the job after they were done you could still a water base sealer that was used previously, the contractor recommended oil stain this time. So they came out a couple weeks later to start the sanding process. The contractor left the sander and dust bag attached inside the home. When I went to my house the next day and opened the door the smoke started flowing out. The contractor said they left around 5 pm the day before and I showed up around 8. So the smoke just filled the house overnight, I would approximate 10-12 hrs. Needless to say they have to gut about 90% of the remodel work I just finished.

My question is, Would you say the contractor was negligent for not removing the dust bag from the home? Based on what I have read fresh dust can cause spontaneous combustion but then you add fresh oil to it doesn't help.

Thank you for your professional opinion and taking the time to respond to this post.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Fire/smoke damage to home
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:57 pm 
Worthy Contributor

If anything spontaneously combusted, it would be the rags used to clean up the stain with. It says right in the MSDS for most stains that you need to soak used rags in water following use to prevent combustion. I keep a bucket in my shop for that exact purpose.

The scenario is usually at the end of the job, the installer will toss the rags, sawdust, and garbage in the closest dumpster, which can heat up in the summer and ignite.

All that said - I've never had it happen to me personally. Just heard the stories.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fire/smoke damage to home
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:25 pm 
New User

Thanks for the feedback. The fire marshall came to the conclusion it started in the dust bag, it was totally disintegrated the next morning.

Profile E-mail