Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First Post- How to prep handscraped flooring for staining?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:37 pm 
New User

This is my first post.

I've just installed 225 square feet of 2 & 1/4 inch unfinished #2 grade american walnut in my master bedroom. I plan on handscraping the floor this week.

Since I will be putting in more texture to the floor, I am leery of following the traditional sanding and prepping work prior to staining, and then finishing after staining. What sanding protocol would y'all recommend after I handscrape, in preparation to stain? For example, one pass with 100 grit screen sander? I plan on using a darker Minwax stain.

And a few follow up questions: I'd like more of a matte finish/topcoat. Any recommendations that would be compatible with the Minwax stain? And will I need to use a different protocol for the topcoat since it will not be a traditional flat surface?

Thanks in advance. I know that each question might take a bit of time to answer. And please let me know if more information is needed on my end. I'm in my first house & first hardwood floor install.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: First Post- How to prep handscraped flooring for staining?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:09 pm 
Prized Contributor

you dont sand a scrapped floor thats what the scraping is for. little history for you. Hundreds of years ago before modern sanding equipment all floors were scraped smooth. After years of foot traffic they would wear out slowly a little a a time to the point the traffic patterns would show. The handscraped of today is an atrocious replica of this historic look, kinda ass backwards if you want to know the truth.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:31 pm 
New User

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. Let me be a bit more specific: You go straight to staining after handscraping, with no additional prep work?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:10 am 
Prized Contributor

sorry for the rant, but as far as prep we just hit them with a maroon pad to clean it up then coat it after scraping. At least its walnut thats going to make your life a ton easier. I would recommend using a a damp towel to wet the the areas just prior to scraping maybe 3x3 area at time. the water will help guide you as to which parts have been scraped and gives a nice point of reference. Be sure to have plenty of beverages because you are about to get a serious workout. I would check youtube for "dm hardwood designs" there were some videos of him walking you thru a big scraped pine job. He gets paid like an artist to do these things, well worth a look.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:41 pm 
Valued Contributor

Like Kevin said, you don't want to sand out the scraping.So if anything, buff very lightly .Maybe use a maroon pad or something like a 180 grit screen .But go easy or you'll undo your scraped look.

If you use minwax stain, buy the old formula quarts. Don't buy the VOC compliant gallons. The old formula is much,much easier to apply .Generally, I use duraseal which is the pro line and is owned by the Minwax company.It dries more reliably than minwax and has identical colors as well as some custom colors.

Once your stain dries thoroughly, you can coat with any good oil . I use Fabulon and Lenmar. Both companies offer satin,semi-gloss and high gloss. Lenmar however also offers "dull rubbed" which is matte and looks like an old waxed floor.

No special protocol needed.If you know how to coat a floor with urethane, just go about it normally.

Profile E-mail